Thread poster: Nicole Maina

Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2007

dear colleagues,

I have to translate a book from paper, so I scanned all pages and converted them into .doc using omnipage 15. when I started translating with trados workbench, the first title was ok, then when I clicked save/open next, the segment closed and nothing happened. it is not possible to open any other segment. I have tried to cancel formating, but it's of no use.

I have tried to use TagEditor, but it says it does not recognize the format (which is doc!!). has this ever happened to anyone of you? by the way, some files I converted using Abbyy FineReader are ok... how is this possible?

thank you!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Format of document after OCR Oct 23, 2007

Most probably your document has been saved as rtf with doc as extension.
I would try to resave it in Word as doc under a new name.
But IMHO the best way would be to remove all formatting before saving in OCR, save as rtf, reformat the document manualy using styles and save as doc, then translate in Tageditor.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 8.0 does not like .doc-file OCR-converted from photocopy

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs