Runtime error during clean-up on Translator's Workbench
Thread poster: Alison Jeffries-Thierry
Alison Jeffries-Thierry
Alison Jeffries-Thierry  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
French to English
Oct 23, 2007

Hi
I'm trying to clean up a 15,000 word document with Translator's workbench. Sometimes I get a 31104 code, saying "already exists in C..." and the top clean up bar shows 100%. Then I get a runtime error, telling me to contact supplier, as it has to shutdown for an "unusual error".
Help! I'm trying to deliver this document today!
PS The document has substantial untranslated sections, that someone else is working on ... Also, some English that was already translated or copy/past
... See more
Hi
I'm trying to clean up a 15,000 word document with Translator's workbench. Sometimes I get a 31104 code, saying "already exists in C..." and the top clean up bar shows 100%. Then I get a runtime error, telling me to contact supplier, as it has to shutdown for an "unusual error".
PS The document has substantial untranslated sections, that someone else is working on ... Also, some English that was already translated or copy/pasted.
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use tw4winClean.main macro Oct 23, 2007

Hi Allison

If you don't need the TM updated, you can clean the document with a macro - see above. You'll find it in the list of macros in Word.

Or if you DO need the TM updated, store the file under another name, then use the macro and fiddle about with Workbench later.

Good luck.

Alison Jeffries-Thierry wrote:

Hi
PS The document has substantial untranslated sections, that someone else is working on ... Also, some English that was already translated or copy/pasted.

Carmenlh
Carmenlh
Local time: 02:02
English to French
Thank you Marinus Jan 27, 2009

I had the same problem Allison's had and your solution (Word macro) worked for me. I'm really grateful!

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:02
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try saving the document as RTF/DOC Jan 27, 2009

Cleanup (or translate) errors can be due to RTF compatibility issues (document created in another Word version or other Word language). In this case, try saving the document as:
RTF if it is a DOC
DOC if it is an RTF

Sometimes it takes two "save as"'s, i.e.:
RTF -> DOC -> RTF
or
DOC -> RTF -> DOC

HTH

Aniza Borhan
Aniza Borhan  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 14:02
Member (2007)
English to Malay
+ ...
Thank you! This was a relief for me! Aug 16, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Hi Allison

If you don't need the TM updated, you can clean the document with a macro - see above. You'll find it in the list of macros in Word.

Or if you DO need the TM updated, store the file under another name, then use the macro and fiddle about with Workbench later.

Good luck.

I was having the same problem as Allison today! about 3 years from Alice's post, but you'll never know when any of these solution will help. Marinus, thank you so much for your reply to Alice. Even it was then, back in 2007, your reply made someone's day today, and saved me, the entire's day stress.

Yossi, I tried that soultion first but somehow this time it did not work, when it ususally does.

Thanks guys! and thanks Alice for posting your problem here

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:02
English to Thai
+ ...
Splitting the document Aug 17, 2010

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
Cleanup (or translate) errors can be due to RTF compatibility issues (document created in another Word version or other Word language). In this case, try saving the document as:
RTF if it is a DOC
DOC if it is an RTF
Sometimes it takes two "save as"'s, i.e.:
RTF -> DOC -> RTF
or
DOC -> RTF -> DOC
HTH

When I failed to recover errors by the method suggested by Yossi, the causes might be from plenty of specific graphic codes or complicate file structure. I will do file repair in Word. If this still fail, I will split the word file to a smaller file e.g. by removing or dividing graphic locations (RTF file tends to contain this error). After cleaning, I merge the wile again with Word file insert command.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Runtime error during clean-up on Translator's Workbench

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »