Problems with counter "entry number" in MultiTerm
Thread poster: Forest (X)
Forest (X)
Forest (X)
French to German
Oct 26, 2007

Dear colleagues,

using MultiTerm 7.0, I recently faced a problem that I have to solve soon. Whenever I decided to scratch an entry which has been saved before, the counter of "entry number" goes on and ignores that I removed an entry. For instance, if I decide to remove entry number 12 so that 11 entries remain, it goes on counting with "entry 13", as soon as I have saved the next one. That means that there isn't a "12" anymore.

Since this is an important project of m
... See more
Dear colleagues,

using MultiTerm 7.0, I recently faced a problem that I have to solve soon. Whenever I decided to scratch an entry which has been saved before, the counter of "entry number" goes on and ignores that I removed an entry. For instance, if I decide to remove entry number 12 so that 11 entries remain, it goes on counting with "entry 13", as soon as I have saved the next one. That means that there isn't a "12" anymore.

Since this is an important project of mine for the university, I have to solve this problem. All entries are going to be printed including their entry number, and that is why I need to know how I the counter can be corrected. Is there any possibility?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:26
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's the way it's supposed to work Oct 26, 2007

MultiTerm runs on a Microsoft Access database. It has a "counter" field that assigns a unique number to every record that is created. This number is used internally by the program to link related pieces of data to each other. If you delete a record, that number is gone and cannot be reused.

It hardly matters from the user's standpoint, since the number is for the program's internal use, but some end-users seem to find it upsetting. That's why when I program databases, I usually hide
... See more
MultiTerm runs on a Microsoft Access database. It has a "counter" field that assigns a unique number to every record that is created. This number is used internally by the program to link related pieces of data to each other. If you delete a record, that number is gone and cannot be reused.

It hardly matters from the user's standpoint, since the number is for the program's internal use, but some end-users seem to find it upsetting. That's why when I program databases, I usually hide the record number so the user never sees it.

[Edited at 2007-10-26 17:07]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with counter "entry number" in MultiTerm

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »