Export text to Word from Tageditor for grammar-check
Thread poster: EvaLarsson
EvaLarsson
EvaLarsson
English to Swedish
Oct 28, 2007

Hi!

I have a problem.

I often get Tageditor files to translate from my clients, these were converted from e.g. quark express files.

Translating in Tageditor and the built in spell-check works fine, but I really miss the handy grammar check in Word, it is really easy to miss things like double spaces between words when proofreading your own translation in TagEditor.

If I only could get the text into word, let it check the grammar, and th
... See more
Hi!

I have a problem.

I often get Tageditor files to translate from my clients, these were converted from e.g. quark express files.

Translating in Tageditor and the built in spell-check works fine, but I really miss the handy grammar check in Word, it is really easy to miss things like double spaces between words when proofreading your own translation in TagEditor.

If I only could get the text into word, let it check the grammar, and then I could do corrections in the TagEditor file.

But when I copy and paste it from Tageditor all the tags are copied as well and become a large mass of text surrounding the real text in Word making Word unable check it.

Anyone got any good idea?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:15
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Forget about Word... Oct 28, 2007

and use the plug-ins in Tageditor.
There is for example the "SDL TRADOS QA Checker" - it wil l help you checking your translation, if there are no unnecessary spaces, if the punctuation is correct, if there are no forgotten translations or if there are any inconsistences, or if you do not have number errors and many more.

HTH
Jerzy

BTW, it will be much faster than what you planned to do originally.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:15
English to French
+ ...
Built-in spelling checker in TagEditor Oct 29, 2007

I have a question to Jerzy, or to others who can help. I don't use the built-in spelling checker in TagEditor because I get an error message saying I don't have the dictionary file. I investigated this and it seems I would have to pay a hefty price for said dictionary file. How come everybody seems to be using the function with success? How can I get this dictionary file? Or is something else wrong?

Thanks!

Elenka Ganeva
Elenka Ganeva  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:15
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Save Target As Oct 29, 2007

I have used this option twice for this purpose and checks were with no problems. Yes, it IS time consuming... But after that I slept well

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Clean file and delete tags Oct 29, 2007

Hi Eva

It's fairly simple to clean the text first and then just delete the tags since they are formatted differently than the translated text.

To clean the text, go into Macros in Word (Alt+F8) and run the Trados clean macro from there.

To delete the remaining tags, you can either right-click and mark all text with the same formatting or (if that's not an option) search and replace (delete) tag text with the specific tag formattering (Ctrl+H).

... See more
Hi Eva

It's fairly simple to clean the text first and then just delete the tags since they are formatted differently than the translated text.

To clean the text, go into Macros in Word (Alt+F8) and run the Trados clean macro from there.

To delete the remaining tags, you can either right-click and mark all text with the same formatting or (if that's not an option) search and replace (delete) tag text with the specific tag formattering (Ctrl+H).

Jørgen
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word spell-cheker usage in Tageditor Oct 29, 2007

You can use Word spell-checker in Tageditor for all that languages, which are available in Word. The assumption (I think quite correct) is, that any translator will have the spell-checker in Word she/he needs for his languages. There is (was) a so called "Proofing Tool Kit" for Office 2000, XP and 2003. I don't know how it is with Office 2007, but in my case both Office XP and Office 2003 do work perfectly well with Tageditor as for spell-checking.
So you should have the proper languges th
... See more
You can use Word spell-checker in Tageditor for all that languages, which are available in Word. The assumption (I think quite correct) is, that any translator will have the spell-checker in Word she/he needs for his languages. There is (was) a so called "Proofing Tool Kit" for Office 2000, XP and 2003. I don't know how it is with Office 2007, but in my case both Office XP and Office 2003 do work perfectly well with Tageditor as for spell-checking.
So you should have the proper languges there, as otherwise you also cannot do any spell-checking in Word.

Jerzy
Collapse

EvaLarsson
EvaLarsson
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 29, 2007

Thanks everyone!

Jörgens solution was just what I was looking for!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export text to Word from Tageditor for grammar-check

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »