Strange Behaviour of STagger 2007 for Framemaker
Thread poster: AndreasP
I used S-tagger 2007 to convert a few MIF files to RTF for translation from German to Russian. After translation, reconversion to MIF was not possible because of a number of errors. Verifier results showed that all errors were of the same type: in tags with German format names with umlauts, all of them were cut (format 'Überschrift' became 'berschrift', or 'eingerückt' became 'eingerckt'). Other umlauts in the text body continued existing.
Can somebody confirm that, and is there a way out?
BTW, this error did never occur under S-Tagger 6.5, and with 6.5, I was even able to convert my S-tagger 2007 converted and translated RTF file back to MIF without error message.
[Edited at 2007-10-30 06:12]
| | RWSTranslation
Local time: 18:25
German to English
maybe a word problem with saving Umlauts in RTF files.
Use TTX for the translation.
| | AndreasP
English to German
| Strange Behaviour of STagger 2007 for Framemaker - Jerzy and Hans || Oct 30, 2007 |
You are fully right.
I made some tests, and here are the results:
Framemaker 7.2 + STagger 2007 = conversion error as described above
Framemaker 8 + STagger 2007 = MIFs not reconized (vers. 8 not yet implemented)
Framemaker 7.2 + STagger 2006 = all okay
However, I did not try the old method of changing the MIF version number in a text editor.
I think it is a matter the SDL boys and girls have to deal with for their next update (or service release). I reported it to them. Hopefully, they will email an answer.
Anyway, I will keep the forum informed.
I think this is not the problem, because if I open the RTF in Word, I see the tags greyed out, but with proper umlauts.
[Edited at 2007-10-30 09:26]
| Bug in 2007 SP1 || Nov 3, 2007 |
this is indeed a new bug in SP1. There were a lot of heavy bugs in the initial 2007 release regarding FrameMaker, especially for Russian (e.g. all source language characters not covered by the russian codepage were transferred into the mifs).
In the current STagger release from SP1 (184.108.40.2069) this bug is solved. However, there is a new bug: Tags containing umlauts are reported as errors. The Verifier reports them as errors even if they are correct. Please also note that there are different verifiers – some report errors, some do not. (Try playing around with the TagEditor verifier, the S-Tagger verifier and the S-Tagger conversion.)
Currently there are three solutions:
1. Use an older trados version (7.0 should be fine, but I have not tested).
1. Style Renaming and restart
Inform the document author that FrameMaker paragraph and character styles (and other custom formats names like variable names, X-Ref names, Ruling Formats etc.) must not have umlauts in their names if the documents will be translated into Russian.
Ask the author to rename the styles accordingly (e.g. "Fliesstext" instead of "Fließtext", "Ueberschrift 1" instead of "Überschrift 1").
In my FrameMaker trainings I always recommend to use English style names only without any spaces or any other special characters.
Restart the translation job as know from the scratch (using your TM of course).
2. Bugfix the current files
You can rename the problematic formats by replacing the umlauts. E.g. you can search for "ß" and replace it with "ss". You need to search and replace within the org files (actually mifs), the source ttx files and the translated ttx files.
You should be familiar with the MIF format. Make sure to replace only the style names and not all umlauts in the document. Please consider in your S&R runs that umlauts are encoded as FM-Hex in MIF files (e.g. "ß" is "\xa7") but not in ttx.
Make sure that you do not "change" styles by renaming them. E.g. if two similar styles exist in the same document like "Fließtext" and "Fliesstext", you should not rename "Fließtext" to "Fliesstext" as this would actually change the style resulting in unexpected formatting results. In this case you should rename to something like "Flie[ss]text". This way you can S&R the converted russian MIFs for "Flie[ss]text" and replace it with "Flie\xa7 text" (i.e. "Fließtext").
Please note that FM 8 is not supported yet. You can save as FrameMaker 7 MIF in FM 8 and process the files as you are used to. There are a couple of thinks to consider and plan when translating "cross codepage".
[Bearbeitet am 2007-11-03 09:47]
| || || |
| | AndreasP
English to German
| Strange Behaviour of STagger 2007 for Framemaker - Workaround || Nov 4, 2007 |
Thanks a lot for your detailed description and hints.
In fact, S-Tagger for 8 is still far away from what it should be. As long as this umlauts bug is existing, I think one has to use the following workaround:
1. Take a (freeware) multiple find & replace tool from the web
2. In the Mif files, replace the hex-coded umlauts by written ones (ß> ss, ä, ö, ü > ae, oe, ue etc.). Make sure that replacements are only made in format (style) names.
3. Run S-Tagger over the Mifs.
Of course, it is a bit annoying, but it works.