https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/88141-pretranslated_bilingual_doc_how_can_i_convert_it.html

Pretranslated Bilingual doc, how can I convert it
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 1, 2007

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but couldn't find the thread.
So customer sent me two docs, which she has pretranslated using Trados. I have got the TM, actually I have already translated one other document with the same TM, so my TM contains segments which the customer's TM does not. So I would probably save time if I could convert the docs back to the source language.
Is there a method to do so?
Thanks for advice!
Heinrich

Salam Alrawi
Salam Alrawi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
just a suggestion Nov 1, 2007

Dear Heinrich,

this is just a suggestion, I am not sure if it will work,
Open the document in tageditor and then click on preview source only,
by this way, you should see the source document only, check if you can save it!

Best regards,
Salam

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 18:39
English to Spanish
This might help Nov 1, 2007

Clean the docs (copies). Open a new TM, but with opposite languages. For example, if the unclean document is from German to Finnish, start a new TM with Finnish TO German. Finally, clean them, and you'll have the docs back to the source language.

Before you do this, you'll have to export the TM to .txt with the opposite languages... Then import it to the new TM, and do what I describe above.

Have luck!

(Hope to have explained myself.)

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 02:39
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Word or TagEditor? Nov 1, 2007

If Word, you can simply run a macro:
if "n" is the number of segments to restore, you put this code in, say, your NewMacros module:

Sub n_times_restore()
For j = 1 to n
Application.Run MacroName:="TemplateProject.tw4winOpen.Main"
Application.Run MacroName:="TemplateProject.tw4winRestoreSource.Main"
Next j
End Sub

and then run it from the uncleaned file.

Should work for Trados 7, Word 2003.

If it is TagEditor
... See more
If Word, you can simply run a macro:
if "n" is the number of segments to restore, you put this code in, say, your NewMacros module:

Sub n_times_restore()
For j = 1 to n
Application.Run MacroName:="TemplateProject.tw4winOpen.Main"
Application.Run MacroName:="TemplateProject.tw4winRestoreSource.Main"
Next j
End Sub

and then run it from the uncleaned file.

Should work for Trados 7, Word 2003.

If it is TagEditor, it still can be done in a similar but less straightforward way.

HTH
Antonin
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found a work-around Nov 1, 2007

When I import the TM into Wordfast and go through the pretranslated doc, every time the source segment is copied into the target segment, I press cntr+alt+X (empty the target), then alt+up to the previous segment and with alt+down back, and then the TM fills in the target segment with its own suggestion. Most of the time there are only tag-changes or minor rephrasing, so I don't have to look up the memory every time but just apply the changes to the fuzzy match the TM shows me.
The same is
... See more
When I import the TM into Wordfast and go through the pretranslated doc, every time the source segment is copied into the target segment, I press cntr+alt+X (empty the target), then alt+up to the previous segment and with alt+down back, and then the TM fills in the target segment with its own suggestion. Most of the time there are only tag-changes or minor rephrasing, so I don't have to look up the memory every time but just apply the changes to the fuzzy match the TM shows me.
The same is possible using Trados, but there is no alt+up-macro, except the one provided by Wordfast.

Salam, TagEditor will not open pretranslated docs. Thanks for answering though!
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Easy Wordfast solution Nov 1, 2007

Hi Heinrich,

Read about the PB Commands BetterMatchShow, BetterMatchWrite and BetterMatchDiscrete in the Wordfast manual. You can also write me to receive Frank Horvath's famous ResetPretrans Word macro.

Regards,
Gerard

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PlusToyz Nov 9, 2007

Now a week later this was proposed in another thread. Hope I remember Plustoyz next time. Would have saved me much time.
Regards
Heinrich

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
PlusToyz is great Nov 9, 2007

Dear Heinrich,

PlusToyz is a great tool but you sometimes want to preserve the segmentation without the no-good matches. ResetPretrans preserves the original segment delimiters so you can be 100% sure Wordfast will segment the same as in the original.

Regards,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pretranslated Bilingual doc, how can I convert it

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »