trados/word/operating system version recommendations for "error while writing breaks"
Thread poster: Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:23
German to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2007

The "error while writing breaks" during conversion of .ttx back to .doc files has been well documented with several threads suggesting solutions. These solutions may or may not work and can be quite time-consuming when translating large documents with many section/column breaks. I wonder if any of the newer versions have fixed this problem. Is it enough to install the latest Trados version? Is it necessary to also upgrade Word to the latest version? What about the new Vista operating system, doe... See more
The "error while writing breaks" during conversion of .ttx back to .doc files has been well documented with several threads suggesting solutions. These solutions may or may not work and can be quite time-consuming when translating large documents with many section/column breaks. I wonder if any of the newer versions have fixed this problem. Is it enough to install the latest Trados version? Is it necessary to also upgrade Word to the latest version? What about the new Vista operating system, does it have any effect in regards to this? Is it safer to stick with Windox XP? Perhaps someone has a recommendation on the best combination of versions for Trados/Word/operating system. Thank you very much.Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Easy and fast solution for this issue Nov 2, 2007

It does not need to be time cosuming at all.
Before you convert Word to ttx, just use the search & replace funkction and replace all section breaks, page brakes and column brakes by themselves plus a paragraph mark. This will of course change the appearance of your Word document, but also ensure, that there are no wrongly placed breaks. After you've finished your translation and saved the target file, just use the search & replace function again, but now replace any break followed by one p
... See more
It does not need to be time cosuming at all.
Before you convert Word to ttx, just use the search & replace funkction and replace all section breaks, page brakes and column brakes by themselves plus a paragraph mark. This will of course change the appearance of your Word document, but also ensure, that there are no wrongly placed breaks. After you've finished your translation and saved the target file, just use the search & replace function again, but now replace any break followed by one paragraph mark through the break itself. In this way your Word document will have exactly the same structure as it had before.

This issue has BTW nothing to do with Trados version or Word version. Breaks which cause this problem are wrongly inserted, so again it is a user who's responsible for the problem.

Jerzy
Collapse

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 2, 2007

Thanks for the help. I thought that I had read in one of the threads that the version of Word could make a difference. What you say makes sense and I will try it out.
Julia

Reino Havbrandt (X)
Reino Havbrandt (X)
Sweden
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks for the info Oct 14, 2008

This solved my problem very well. One obstacle is, that sectrion breaks are non-replacable with Search, so there you have to add the paragraph sign manually.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Page/Section breaks Oct 15, 2008

Hi all, in my experience, the safest way is to remove all section and page breaks before opening DOC in TE and reinserting them after the clean-up.
Just inserting one or two paragraphs before a page break may not always work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados/word/operating system version recommendations for "error while writing breaks"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »