Translator's Workbench is not running ... yet, it is
Thread poster: Grand_Gus
Grand_Gus
Grand_Gus
Local time: 09:34
English to French
Nov 4, 2007

Hi, colleagues !
I've just migrated to Vista, Office 2003 and Trados7 on a new computer. All went perfect with Word for a while.
I had problems with TagEditor, though, converting an Excel file. So I updated Office to SP2, then learned -- on this very forum -- how to register properly the Trados components and, oh wonder, tagEditor seems happy.
Big problem is, now Word 2003 does not recognize Workbench saying it is not running, though it clearly is.
What have I done wron
... See more
Hi, colleagues !
I've just migrated to Vista, Office 2003 and Trados7 on a new computer. All went perfect with Word for a while.
I had problems with TagEditor, though, converting an Excel file. So I updated Office to SP2, then learned -- on this very forum -- how to register properly the Trados components and, oh wonder, tagEditor seems happy.
Big problem is, now Word 2003 does not recognize Workbench saying it is not running, though it clearly is.
What have I done wrong ?
I also installed Spybot and avast but cannot see anything there that could interfere with Word, macros, or anything.
Thanks in advance for any kind of help

Hugues
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What wonder... Nov 4, 2007

Did you not read the numerous threads here? Did you not read the producers declaration? Did you not check the compatibility before upgrading?
You say:
I've just migrated to Vista, Office 2003 and Trados7

Trados 7 does not run with Vista. You can give up trying, it will not work.
This is similar as would you try to drive your diesel car with gasoline.
Just check the specs of your software - for Trados you need to upgrade to Trados 2007, which ist the first and only version now to run with Windows Vista.

Jerzy

Grand_Gus
Grand_Gus
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Translator's Workbench is not running ... yet, it is Nov 4, 2007

Hi Jerzy
Thanks for answering me. Yet, it worked, for a time ... I tested it, and Word 2003 worked perfectly with T7, or the other way round, under Vista. Problem is why does'nt it work anymore?
I have TagEditor working with Excel and PPt 2003 and Vista; is that against specs too ?

Help me think out of the box

GG

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So then be precise Nov 4, 2007

Are you reffering to SDL Trados 2007?
When you post to this forum, you should see this note:
When asking for help, make sure that you:

• indicate the file format(s) involved
  • specify each software package that is relevant to your posting, identifying the version with the *full* version number
  • describe the step(s) or process(es) which have triggered the problem. This will help oth... See more
Are you reffering to SDL Trados 2007?
When you post to this forum, you should see this note:
When asking for help, make sure that you:

• indicate the file format(s) involved
  • specify each software package that is relevant to your posting, identifying the version with the *full* version number
  • describe the step(s) or process(es) which have triggered the problem. This will help others to help you

Now you are writing T7 - which build? Trados 7, 7.1, 7.5??
According to the specs only SDL Trados 2007 (ie build 820 and above) shall work with Windows Vista. This means, that however any other version might work, there is no guarantee it will. So unfortunately in such case (older version) you'll get no answer why it worked and now stopped.

Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-11-04 22:15]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Eaaaaasy... ;-) Nov 4, 2007

Dear Jerzy,
I agree that it helps to get precise information with any query - that's the very reason why the notice was placed there.

Having said that, forum users - particularly new ones - don't always grasp all the instructions available. So please, take it easy on "Grand_Gus": I don't think he missed out the information on purpose.

As regards the query raised, AFAIK it's possible that some (possibly isolated) functions may work, but to my knowledge, you
... See more
Dear Jerzy,
I agree that it helps to get precise information with any query - that's the very reason why the notice was placed there.

Having said that, forum users - particularly new ones - don't always grasp all the instructions available. So please, take it easy on "Grand_Gus": I don't think he missed out the information on purpose.

As regards the query raised, AFAIK it's possible that some (possibly isolated) functions may work, but to my knowledge, you do need SDL Trados 2007 (which includes Trados 8.x) to run under Vista.

Kind regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry - indeed didn't notice a new user Nov 4, 2007

According to the information I have from SDL the only version which shall run with Vista is SDL Trados 2007 (build 820 and above).
The "official" statement is, that other versions are "not supported on Vista", which means, that we will not get any hint from SDL on how to run the software on Vista.
Bearing in mind, that it worked for you, pleae remember, what did you change in your PC recently?
You might trying the system-restore function and restore the system to
... See more
According to the information I have from SDL the only version which shall run with Vista is SDL Trados 2007 (build 820 and above).
The "official" statement is, that other versions are "not supported on Vista", which means, that we will not get any hint from SDL on how to run the software on Vista.
Bearing in mind, that it worked for you, pleae remember, what did you change in your PC recently?
You might trying the system-restore function and restore the system to a day before it stopped working. However, I'm afraid it may still not help.
Even a "clean install" (means deinstalling the software and deleting ALL registry entries related to SDL - quite a risky business, as any modification of registry) will not necessarilly work. Sorry

Jerzy
Collapse

Grand_Gus
Grand_Gus
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Master Nov 4, 2007

Ah ! Nothing like a good strong scolding from the teacher to make you think straight and true !
OK then.
Vista Business Premium
Trados 7 Freelance : V 7.0.0.615 (not brand new but mint condition)
Office 2003. Well, first without SP2 : Word worked with several documents : was happy
Tried to have TagEditor working with basic Excel file : did not ! Parser file problem, said it ...

* installed SP2 -- TE did not work any better
* downloa
... See more
Ah ! Nothing like a good strong scolding from the teacher to make you think straight and true !
OK then.
Vista Business Premium
Trados 7 Freelance : V 7.0.0.615 (not brand new but mint condition)
Office 2003. Well, first without SP2 : Word worked with several documents : was happy
Tried to have TagEditor working with basic Excel file : did not ! Parser file problem, said it ...

* installed SP2 -- TE did not work any better
* downloaded & installed Spybot, latest version
* downloaded & installed Avast instead of MacAffee -- TE did not work any better
* read post about User Access Control : ran SelfRegister with Administrator token and Win XP SP2 compatibility -- TE worked just fine. Glitch during the batch file execution though, something about Interop.FilterFrameworkComApi.
* opened Word for the first time since installing SP2 and tried to translate several Word files to no avail : Error message "Trados Translator's Workbench is not running ", though, of course, it was.
* stopped avast, selfregistered again, no luck !
* banged the computer with a sledge hammer, did not solve the problem either,
* stitched the computer back together
* posted on the forum
* currently expecting my betters to solve problem for me

Thanks in advance
GG
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
*ggg* Nov 4, 2007

Nothing like a good strong scolding from the teacher to make you think straight and true !

Rest assured - Jerzy is not like that at all.

Thanks for taking it with a pinch of salt!

Best, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry - I'm afraid the only good advice you can get here is to upgrade Nov 4, 2007

Please take my apology - must have been bitten by some poisoner tonight.

To come back to your problem - as it looks you've tried a lot to get a better luck, but to no avail. Removing SP2 from Office 2003 is not a good idea IMHO, neither is in this case restoring the system to a previous date,
The upgrade from Trados 7 is just 205 Euro for today (www.translationzone.com), so I think this
... See more
Please take my apology - must have been bitten by some poisoner tonight.

To come back to your problem - as it looks you've tried a lot to get a better luck, but to no avail. Removing SP2 from Office 2003 is not a good idea IMHO, neither is in this case restoring the system to a previous date,
The upgrade from Trados 7 is just 205 Euro for today (www.translationzone.com), so I think this will be cheaper, than investing numerous hours of your work.

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's Workbench is not running ... yet, it is

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »