Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 16:14
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2007

Hi,
Could you pls help me find out what has gone wrong with the way special characters are being displayed in my target segments while translating them in Trados 2007 Workbench.
What before used to be displayed as „č“ now changes into “è”, „đ“ into „ð“, “ć” into “æ“...
As far as I am aware I haven't made any changes in Windows XP or Office 2003 settings.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion or help in resolving this.

Regards,
Shereefdin

Agnese Kalnina
Agnese Kalnina
Latvia
Local time: 17:14
English to Latvian
yes, I had the same problem Nov 5, 2007

mostly it occured while translating tables

I don`t know the reason of this, but the way I solved it was - just translated with the corrupted characters, then cleaned out the file and then selected the text with bad characters and went to Tools -> Fix broken text

there is no use to fix broken text before cleaning, because after cleaning the corrupted characters are back again...

but I also would like to know the reason of this and the way I can prevent it al
... See more
mostly it occured while translating tables

I don`t know the reason of this, but the way I solved it was - just translated with the corrupted characters, then cleaned out the file and then selected the text with bad characters and went to Tools -> Fix broken text

there is no use to fix broken text before cleaning, because after cleaning the corrupted characters are back again...

but I also would like to know the reason of this and the way I can prevent it already from the beginning
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
It could be that the document font is not on your computer Nov 5, 2007

Hi Sherefedin,

You could try this solution from the TW_users Yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/42580

HTH

Giles

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem still exists Nov 5, 2007

Hi Agnese and Giles,

Thank you for your suggestions and sharing your thoughts with me.

I have tried the solution posted on the Yahoo Trados workbench group even though I have all the fonts used in the source document but it makes no difference.

Have even reinstalled the whole Office 2003 hoping that there could be any unintended change in the settings but I get exactly the same wrong fonts in both uncleaned and cleaned Word files.

Regards,... See more
Hi Agnese and Giles,

Thank you for your suggestions and sharing your thoughts with me.

I have tried the solution posted on the Yahoo Trados workbench group even though I have all the fonts used in the source document but it makes no difference.

Have even reinstalled the whole Office 2003 hoping that there could be any unintended change in the settings but I get exactly the same wrong fonts in both uncleaned and cleaned Word files.

Regards,
Sherefedin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect display of special characters

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »