Dutch special characters
Thread poster: xxxB-TRANSLATIO
xxxB-TRANSLATIO  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:52
German to Dutch
Nov 6, 2007

Dear all,

I would like to enter the Dutch special characters ë and ï in the TagEditor (version 8.0.0.822) by using the regular ascii-codes but I did not succeed up to now.

I use the operating system Windows XP Professional Version 2002. The file type of the document I translate in the TagEditor is .doc (WinWord 2003).

Does anybody know this problem?

Regards

Dennis

Direct link Reply with quote

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Num Lock? Nov 6, 2007

Sure you change the Num Lock setting before and after the special character? For instance, when you want to insert é inside the target language area, you'd hit
Num Lock
Alt + 230
Num Lock

If there really is a problem, a workarounf method would be preparing the characters in Word and
Alt + Tab
selecting
Ctrl + C
Alt + Tab
Ctrl + V

xxxB-TRANSLATIO  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Special character - problem solved Nov 6, 2007

Hi Henk,

Thank you very much for your help, I did not realize that you have to change the Num Lock setting on the laptop keyboard as well. I thought the function key would be enough. Now it worked.

Best,
Dennis

[Edited at 2007-11-06 12:22]

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Keyboard settings Nov 6, 2007

Hi,

if you set your keyboard to US-International you should be able to write ë and ï by pressing " first and then e (or " and i, of course). Like an old-fashioned typewriter.... I do it all the time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dutch special characters

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs