Dutch special characters
Thread poster: xxxB-TRANSLATIO
xxxB-TRANSLATIO  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:22
German to Dutch
Nov 6, 2007

Dear all,

I would like to enter the Dutch special characters ë and ï in the TagEditor (version 8.0.0.822) by using the regular ascii-codes but I did not succeed up to now.

I use the operating system Windows XP Professional Version 2002. The file type of the document I translate in the TagEditor is .doc (WinWord 2003).

Does anybody know this problem?

Regards

Dennis

Direct link Reply with quote

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Num Lock? Nov 6, 2007

Sure you change the Num Lock setting before and after the special character? For instance, when you want to insert é inside the target language area, you'd hit
Num Lock
Alt + 230
Num Lock

If there really is a problem, a workarounf method would be preparing the characters in Word and
Alt + Tab
selecting
Ctrl + C
Alt + Tab
Ctrl + V

xxxB-TRANSLATIO  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Special character - problem solved Nov 6, 2007

Hi Henk,

Thank you very much for your help, I did not realize that you have to change the Num Lock setting on the laptop keyboard as well. I thought the function key would be enough. Now it worked.

Best,
Dennis

[Edited at 2007-11-06 12:22]

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Keyboard settings Nov 6, 2007

Hi,

if you set your keyboard to US-International you should be able to write ë and ï by pressing " first and then e (or " and i, of course). Like an old-fashioned typewriter.... I do it all the time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dutch special characters

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs