Mobile menu

Trados 7.5 Problem with Vista
Thread poster: Peter WILHELM

Peter WILHELM  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:11
English to German
+ ...
Nov 7, 2007

I tried to open an Excel-File with TE on three PCs. It worked with two but not with the third, which is the one with... Vista!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
T7.5 is not supposed to run on Vista Nov 7, 2007

According to the informations by the manufacturer the first and only version of SDL Trados to run on Vista is SDL Trados 2007 (build 820 and above).
I'm afraid you'll need an upgrade - look at www.translationzone.com

Best regards
Jerzy

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 15:11
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Upgrade issues Nov 7, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Not necessarily. I'm running Trados 7.0 on Vista Home Premium and it works just fine, Tag Editor included (yes, I've worked on Excel files with it). The only thing I can't seem to get to work on the OS is MultiTerm, but after reading a bunch of forum threads here, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the program's fault, rather than Microsoft's (wow, Microsoft might not be responsible for compatibility issues for once - how's that for a change?).

Peter, do you have any more info (i.e. are you running it with a .lic license file?)

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works in most cases Nov 7, 2007

Trados and Vista work in most cases without problems. But it gives us an example how Trados protects our investment. I would have expected an update, as most software manufacturers do.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Licence File Nov 7, 2007

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Peter, do you have any more info (i.e. are you running it with a .lic license file?)

Yes with licence file. It's not a real problem because it's just THAT Excel file and we can use another PC with XP. I just brought this example to tell others if they have the same issue.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I have not said it does not work... Nov 7, 2007

but it is not supposed to work. If you are lucky and it works, so better for you.
However, it wonders me a bit that it works flawlesly - T7 is much older than Vista, and Vista makes heavy not only the life of Trados users... I'ver read about a lot of software NOT working with Vista.

The general statement by the manufacturer is: Vista / Office 2007 support first with SDL Trados 2007. Everything else was not tested on Vista, so the manufacturer cannot tell, if it works (this is the info I have from SDL Support).

Jerzy

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 08:11
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Vista + Office 2003 + Trados 7? Nov 8, 2007

For those of you who are running older versions of Trados on Vista, can I ask if you are using Office 2003?
I've just purchased a new PC (hasn't arrived yet) and I was wondering if the lucky ones out there could let me know what they are running that lets them use older versions of Trados?
Many thanks!
Owen

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
My setup Nov 8, 2007

Hi Owen,

I'm running Office XP, Vista Home Premium, and Trados 7.0, and they all work fine. I've also read (on the forums) about at least a couple of people using Office 2003 and having no problems whatsoever.

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 08:11
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Possible sigh of relief... Nov 8, 2007

Hi Marco,
Thanks for that, I shall keep my hopes up! Don't fancy upgrading after splashing out on a new pc. I went for Vista Ultimate because of the language packs. Being able to switch (nearly) the entire OS between EN and JP will be very useful! Maybe I should have just gone for a Mac
All the best
Owen

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Small update... Jan 26, 2008

that I've been forgetting to make. I can also report that Multiterm 7 is working just fine on my Windows Vista system - I had forgotten to use the "Run as Administrator" option when installing it, so I turned a very simple problem into an overly complicated search for solutions that obviously couldn't work in the first place. It was an exasperating "I can't believe I plugged the wrong cable in!" situation - I guess you get them once in your life even if you know your way around with computers.

So Jerzy, if it's of any use to you in the future, I can confirm that both Trados 7 (with a softkey license) and MultiTerm 7 work fine with Windows Vista and Office XP; at least in some systems (I know at least a couple of people who use the combinatio as well, and they haven't run into any problems either). Now, Office 2007 is a completely different issue - I don't own it, I have no interest in it, and for all I know, Trados 7 is absolutely incompatible with it. All my other programs run fine though

[Edited at 2008-01-26 13:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7.5 Problem with Vista

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs