Installing Trados 2007 in my Windows XP/Office 2003 machine...
Thread poster: Sonia Bartoli
Sonia Bartoli
Local time: 14:55
English to Italian
Nov 7, 2007

At last I downloaded Trados 2007, and tried to install it in my Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP2 machine. Currently I have Trados 7.0.0.615 and work with the Office 2003 suite.

While running the Trados installation program, the installer says that it has found a previous version of the program on my PC --and tells me it needs to be removed before it will proceed with the installation.

I really do not want to remove the previous version of Trados, as it works more or less fine. But I'd still like to install the new version.

Is there a work-around for this? Or am I really going to have to uninstall Trados 7 before I can install Trados 2007.

Also, after I unsuccessfully tried to install Trados 2007, I noticed that the "Trados" menu has disappeared from the Word menu bar. What can be done to get it back?

Thanks in advance...
Sonia

Direct link Reply with quote

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:55
English to Swedish
+ ...
Virtualize! Nov 8, 2007

http://www.vmware.com/

Sven Petersson
Medical translator
Web site: www.svenp.com

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
English to Spanish
not sure but... Nov 13, 2007

Hi

I will shortly be doing the same, after reformatting my HDD. But I have read the instructions and I seem to remember from them that you can indeed have the two versions on the same computer (2006 and 2007) but the key thing is to use different folders. Have a look at the instructions (SDL Trados 2007 Installation Guide PDF). Here I am pasting some paragraphs from it in case it helps):

About SDLX
"SDL Trados 2007 supports side-by-side installation with SDL Trados 2006 and 7.x. However, SDLX 2007 cannot be installed side-by-side with SDLX 2006. Running the SDL Trados 2007 installer upgrades SDLX 2006 to SDLX 2007."

About memories
"translation memories can be exchanged between version 7.x and 8.x of Translator’s Workbench without any problems, as translation memories in these versions share the same database format"

What you might need to know
Installing Different Versions of SDL Trados on the Same Computer
During the upgrade period, you may want to have different versions of the SDL Trados translation solution co-exist on your computer. In this situation, we recommend the following:
In general, you can install SDL Trados 2007 on the same computer as the previous versions (version 7.5 or earlier), provided that each version is installed to a separate folder. The default installation location for each version of the software is different.

Do not use different versions of the software at the same time. For example, close Translator's Workbench 7.x before registering and opening Translator's Workbench 8.x.

Do not run different versions of the same component at the same time. If you are using several tools at once, do not work with mixed versions of the software. For example, if you are translating files in TagEditor, use TagEditor 8.x with Translator's Workbench 8.x. Do not use TagEditor 8.x with Translator's Workbench 7.5 and vice versa.

We recommend that you use the same version of the software to translate files from start to finish.

Migrating files from an earlier to a later version of the software when the project has already started may result in data inconsistencies.

When alternating between two different versions, you must register the software you are about to use by executing a special self-registration batch file. The batch file for each version is accessed from the Start menu on your computer.

Regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2007-11-14 07:36]

Sonia Bartoli
Local time: 14:55
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 13, 2007

Marta, thanks so much for posting this. The outlined may very well have been the issue, as I probably was trying to install under the same "umbrella" folder. This was very helpful. I am going to try to tackle the installation again, bearing this in mind, and see what happens.
Thanks again!

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
English to Spanish
you are welcome Nov 13, 2007

You are welcome, Sonia (just a copy-paste).

Good luck and patience. I do not normally read the instructions for anything, but I guess it is impossible to avoid it in this case.

Kind regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2007-11-14 07:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Trados 2007 in my Windows XP/Office 2003 machine...

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums