skyblue
skyblue
United States
Local time: 03:51
Member (2006)
English to Korean
+ ...
Nov 10, 2007

One of my clients sent me SDL Edit and an itd file for me to play with. It appears that I cannot open any document format other than itd. I couldn't open doc, txt, rtf, or any other files than itd. Is it so? Or am I doing something wrong? In SDL Editor, I can only open itd files? Then, how do I create itd files? I am completely new to any CAT tool, so please forgive my ignorance if so.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:51
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
SDLX Edit can't be "sent" (license needed) - SDLX Lite Nov 10, 2007

Hi "skyblue",

I think you might have a SDLX *Lite* version, not the full program, as SDLX Edit is a module of SDLX and for that you need a license, i.e. to buy the program.

If you have the Lite version, you can only open and work on *.itd files created by someone owning the SDLX Elite version of CAT.

This doesn't mean that you cannot work, but you can't - and don't need any other file. On the contrary, you can tranlate the file in that module and return th
... See more
Hi "skyblue",

I think you might have a SDLX *Lite* version, not the full program, as SDLX Edit is a module of SDLX and for that you need a license, i.e. to buy the program.

If you have the Lite version, you can only open and work on *.itd files created by someone owning the SDLX Elite version of CAT.

This doesn't mean that you cannot work, but you can't - and don't need any other file. On the contrary, you can tranlate the file in that module and return the translated *.itd file, as you cannot re-create the original format (this can be done, only if you own SDLX full version and have the original file).

In one word: open the *.itd file (in the editor you'll have left the source and right the target text - of course, before translation you'll see left and right the source text, but after opening the segment you'll type your translation in the right column, than close+save it+open next segment and so on until you are done, saving your work from time to time), create a TM and start working.

Giuliana
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nice toy Nov 10, 2007

I am sure its the LITE verion of SDLX. It was a free download on the SDL official website.

Since you are new, I guess the following tips are useful:

Yes, be sure to create a TM.

1. And then go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>AUTOMATION

check all the options, espacially "the Automatic TM update" option and press "enter" as you translate each entry, your translation will be remembered. Next time when you meet the same source text, you won't have to translate i
... See more
I am sure its the LITE verion of SDLX. It was a free download on the SDL official website.

Since you are new, I guess the following tips are useful:

Yes, be sure to create a TM.

1. And then go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>AUTOMATION

check all the options, espacially "the Automatic TM update" option and press "enter" as you translate each entry, your translation will be remembered. Next time when you meet the same source text, you won't have to translate it again.

2. Don't forget the "Concordance Search" function:

When you come to a term you feel that you have translated, select the term and press F7 and you will be shown your past translations containing the term.

3. It's much quicker to use the keyboard. You are likely to have lots of small .itd files. Using your mouse to click open can be annoying as it slows down your translation. Here's what I do. Open the folder containg the .itd files (detailed view); press ENTER to open the file; press ALT+F4 to close the file after translation; use the DOWN arrow to move the highlight to next file and press ENTER.

4. Apply translation
When you come to a file that contains a lot of entries that have been translated before, press CTRL+SHIT+A to apply translation and the file will be automatically translated using the translation memory.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Edit and itd file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »