Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:59
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 14, 2007

Hello,

I just finished a translation (word file), and as normal I wanted to clean it. In the beginning all looks normal, untill I get a message: "Runtime error", followed by the message that Trados has "requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way".

What ever I try, nothing works, and I do have a translation to deliver urgently.

Does anybody know what to do? Please HELP!!!

I work with Trados 7 Freelance

Thanks

Rob Rietvelt

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
A few links that may give you the solution Nov 14, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/87398

http://www.proz.com/topic/71592

good luck!

Karin R  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:59
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
clean-up problems wiht trados 7.0 Nov 14, 2007

I had a similar problem with Trados 7 and Vista.
I resolved it converting .doc to .rtf and cleaned up the rtf-File by Workbench.

regards Karin

Elvana Moore  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
English to Albanian
+ ...
SDL support Nov 14, 2007

I had a similar problem some weeks ago. Pressed for time, and in despair, I rang the SDL support team. We established a webminar and they were able -with my permission- to work on my document remotely until they found the problem.

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
English to Spanish
Images?? Nov 14, 2007

If your file contains images, delete them. Once cleaned, paste them again.

Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 14, 2007

I hereby want to thank you all for your quick replies.

What I did, I run the file with the word macro TW4Clean.main macro. This didn't update my TM, but I had a file in the target language to send to my client (the info was saved in the TM anyway).

A few remarks:

- Yes the file had pictures / images, but that never stopped Trados before, so I still don't know why it refused to clean now.

- I really had no time to send all the stuff to the SDL-support team, I was on a tight deadline.

- I am (still) working with XP, and I don't know how to convert A .doc file into a .rtf file, although I would really like to know how that is done. So, Karin, if you could explain that to me, I would be gratefull.

- Magreet, thank you, it was your hint that saved my job.

Regards,

Rob

Sergei Nikolenko  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:59
English to Russian
TRADOS and antivirus Nov 14, 2007

I recently had a similar problem, also with a .doc file. It was a large file with pictures. First, I could not analyse it with Workbench - when I tried, after a while it gave me a message saying that it could not convert to rtf format because of file access problem. Then I tried to save that file from Word in rtf format - didn't work either. Whatever I tried, it did not work. And then I thought - if a file is large, every time the system acesses it, tha antivirus has to chek it, and while it is being checked, it may be unaccessable to other programs, including TRADOS. I disabled my antivirus, and it solved the problem! Try it, but check you files firs for viruses and don't forget to enable the antivirus back!

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
You're welcome Nov 14, 2007

Glad you managed to solve the problem.

Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again. Nov 14, 2007

Hello sergei, I will remeber your hint. Thanks.

Magreet, bedankt voor je mailtje en nogmaals bedankt voor je hint

Rob

Karin R  Identity Verified
Peru
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
DOC TO RTF Nov 14, 2007

HI, Robert,

Only open your word-file and instead saving as a word-doc choose RTF-Format, and you have a rtf-file.
That`s all.

Kind regards

Karin

Derek Ferrari-Frankland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Clean Up using Wordfast Nov 15, 2007

Whenever I have had problems Cleaning Up a file translated with Trados I have always managed to Clean it using Wordfast.
A demo version of Wordfast can be downloaded free of charge in a minute, installation takes another minute.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No need to use any different tools Nov 15, 2007

Just use the tw4winClean.main macro in Word.
Save your document in two copies - one as rtf for cleanup and TM update in Workbench. You just process it in Workbench and then throw it away.
In another copy, saved as doc, press ALT+F8, put "tw" in the macro name field, select the tw4winClean.main macro and say "execute".
That's all.
Just remember, that this macro does not update your TM, so this is why the other rtf copy shall be cleaned in Workbench.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP! I can't clean my files with Trados

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs