Thread poster: ANNE FAGES
ANNE FAGES  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
English to French
+ ...
Nov 15, 2007

Hello !

I'm about to buying Trados 2007 and they propose me Maintenance (meaning updates for a year) and Support.
Im' not sure iit can be useful i.e. are there so many updates in a year ? Their site is really unclear so do you think their "support services" are useful ?

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-15 11:42]

Direct link Reply with quote

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:54
Italian to English
Support probably more important Nov 15, 2007

Hi Anne
If you are buying a car but don't know how to drive it, then a few driving lessons are a great help to avoid crashing it each time, or simply to get from A to B.
So in that case I would say invest in the Support facility, as that will save you lots of time and money (and perhaps clients!). The software updates are not nearly as important, I would say.

On the other hand, if you know how to use Workbench etc. already to your satisfaction, you could risk just hitting the road with it, and deal with any issues that arise as they come up. Using the car analogy again, do you personally prefer just to buy the machine or do you prefer the security of all the service backup that some dealers offer?

Anthony

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Happy with PSMA Nov 15, 2007

Hi Anne,
Opinions about SDL Support services are varied - have a look at the related forum topics here - personally, I'm happy with their support, which I'm using occasionally (usually in connection with problematic Office files).

Comparing the cost of a Support & Maintenance package with the cost of upgrading (which usually happens once a year) also works out favourably - if you're going to be upgrading anyway, PSMA works.

Best regards,
Ralf

ANNE FAGES  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
technical help or "training" help or both ? Nov 15, 2007

Concerning support, sure I would prefer not to ask Ralph his jumper cables again ... (just keeping with the car analogy)
How does it work exactly. If you're having a problem, do you just call them and they help you to solve it ?
And do you call them for a technical problem only or also if you need help while using the software ??

I heard a lot about problems with upgrades (transfering TMs) so I'm not sure it's a good idea to upgrade too often. On that point, I just need to think about it.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can use the cables anytime... Nov 15, 2007

Hi again,

Concerning support, sure I would prefer not to ask Ralph his jumper cables again ... (just keeping with the car analogy)

Well, for those out there who are wondering... you should have attended the conference in Aix-en-Provence...

How does it work exactly. If you're having a problem, do you just call them and they help you to solve it ?

Possible, but the better way is to post a support ticket - not unlike the system in place at ProZ.com.

And do you call them for a technical problem only or also if you need help while using the software

Both, although I should point out that training is something else.

I heard a lot about problems with upgrades (transfering TMs) so I'm not sure it's a good idea to upgrade too often. On that point, I just need to think about it.

Being entitled to an upgrade doesn't mean you have to upgrade when the new version is out. For example, I have the right to use the latest version, but am still using build 759.

Best, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My experience is exactly the same as Ralfs Nov 15, 2007

PSMA works for me, I have invested in that two years ago and plan to continue next year, when it runs out.
My questions concerned quite often instabilities in the software or other problems with it. Not all problems could have been settled to my full satisfaction, because some problems lay deeper than a simple change in settings. However, because users as Ralf or me have PSMA and do report problems (bugs), the software is beeing improved.
But I have also asked questions "how to" and got very satisfactory answers quickly, even in case the solution could be found in manuals or online help.
If you take into account, that you get a free upgrade to the next version, the cost for the support is not high at all. What I would do, is taking the upgrade each time it comes out in order to keep the version history complete. The version I would then use still remains my personal choice.

Jerzy, another cable jumper

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Maintenance is really important Nov 15, 2007

Hello,

in my opinion it is possible to solve support questions without Trados support but to get the latest version of your Software can be really important if there are bug fixes.

Greetings

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About Trados Maintenance and Support

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums