Martin Fernandez Cufre
Martin Fernandez Cufre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 17, 2007

Hi everyone!

I've been using Trados for some time, right now using version 7.5. The thing is that up to now I've been working in a desktop PC where I keep all my TMs and files, and now I got a notebook PC and I would like to work from the laptop using my TM files in the desktop PC via a LAN (local network). Is this possible? What do I need? I've read some about TM Server and TeamWork but I don't really know how this works. It would be just me accessing the TM, not a team of transla
... See more
Hi everyone!

I've been using Trados for some time, right now using version 7.5. The thing is that up to now I've been working in a desktop PC where I keep all my TMs and files, and now I got a notebook PC and I would like to work from the laptop using my TM files in the desktop PC via a LAN (local network). Is this possible? What do I need? I've read some about TM Server and TeamWork but I don't really know how this works. It would be just me accessing the TM, not a team of translators or anything like that. Could you tell me what do I need? Right now I have SDL Trados 7.5 Freelance.

Thanks!!

Martin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just open the TM via LAN Nov 18, 2007

As this is your local LAN, you don't need anything more to open a TM via LAN.
From menu File in Translators Workbench chose open, browse to the network location and open the TM.
This is all.

HTH
Jerzy

Martin Fernandez Cufre
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 18, 2007

Oh just that? It was my mistake not to try it directly, I guessed this would not be possible. I will try it later and tell you how it went.
Thanks!
Martin

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In this case it should be "just that" Nov 18, 2007

similar to opening any other file via LAN.
In my case it worked, at least in my LAN.

Best regards
Jerzy

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
folder sharing... Nov 18, 2007

Put all your TMs in a folder and enable sharing on that comp. start your LAN and access the folder and it´´s contents. This functions even if you have a 3rd, 4th, 5th comp in the net work. Best regards, Brandis

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
No problem Nov 19, 2007

Sure, this is a basic feature, it has been supported by Trados since the very first versions.

The TM is just a set of files anyway, they can reside in any folder on your volume, you just have to map the network drive in Windows. There is no requirement that the files should reside on the same disk.

Theoretically, you could even have your TMs on an USB memory stick, but it might slow down your translation speed...

Good luck,

Jan

mustafa karabiber
mustafa karabiber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:43
English to Turkish
+ ...
One more thing Nov 19, 2007

Also, please note that you can only open one workbench in a LAN if you have a freelance license.

Martin Fernandez Cufre
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Nov 19, 2007

Thank you all very much and Jerzy especially for the tip, it worked flawlessly. At first I couldn't open the TM but then I realized that it was because I hadn't given full access permissions to the TM folder, it was on read-only. Now everything works ok. Anyway for this project I've already copied the TM files to my laptop, but from now on I will use the LAN, I just hope that there is no noticeable data transfer delay between my laptop and the files on my desktop PC (I mean, when working with Wo... See more
Thank you all very much and Jerzy especially for the tip, it worked flawlessly. At first I couldn't open the TM but then I realized that it was because I hadn't given full access permissions to the TM folder, it was on read-only. Now everything works ok. Anyway for this project I've already copied the TM files to my laptop, but from now on I will use the LAN, I just hope that there is no noticeable data transfer delay between my laptop and the files on my desktop PC (I mean, when working with Workbench and it is accessing the TM files remotely).
Thanks!!
Martin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of TMs in a LAN

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »