https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/89761-cant_open_tmx_file_with_tageditor.html

Can't open tmx file with TagEditor
Thread poster: Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:57
English to German
Nov 20, 2007

Hi,

I cot a tmx file from a client. I use Trados Freelance 6.5. When I try to open the file I get the error message: "ssyacc0103e: Attempted read past eof"....Can anyone tell me how I can open the file?

Thank you.

Optiproz Pri (X)
Optiproz Pri (X)
English
Really? Nov 20, 2007

Is that right that you want to open a Translation Memory (TMX file) in TagEditor?
That is not possible.

Cheers
Richard

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Why TagEditor? Nov 20, 2007

Elvira Schmid wrote:

I cot a tmx file from a client.

And what is your job? Edit TMX file or use it as translation memory?

Elvira Schmid
Italy
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly sure Nov 20, 2007

The cliented just wanted to see if I can open the file....meanwhile I tried to import it into TM and same error code comes up....I also saved the file as html and can open it with TagEditor, but here the problem is that the file is bilingual and when I open a segment, only the English opens and the German opens as a source segment too....
the client has extracted the file from an online translation system...

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Import it into Workbench Nov 20, 2007

similarly to importing a txt file, but you have to change the dropdown option to tmx

HTH
Atnonin

Elvira Schmid
Italy
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
import does not work Nov 20, 2007

When I try to import the file in the TM I get the same error code (35000 Attempted read past of eof" and nothing happens....I did change the dropdown option to tmx.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You can try a freeware validator of tmx files then Nov 20, 2007

http://www.maxprograms.com/tmxvalidator.html

Antonin

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
More information Nov 20, 2007

Hello,

it would be helpful if you ask your client for the tmx version of the file or you take a look on the header of the tmx file (Open in a Editor).

Maybe your Trados version doesn't support newer tmx versions.

Another possibility is a corrupted file which often happens if the files was send unpacked via E-Mail.

Hans

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Validate first! Nov 22, 2007

Elvira Schmid wrote:

The cliented just wanted to see if I can open the file....meanwhile I tried to import it into TM and same error code comes up....I also saved the file as html and can open it with TagEditor, but here the problem is that the file is bilingual and when I open a segment, only the English opens and the German opens as a source segment too....
the client has extracted the file from an online translation system...

Sorry, but IMHO it doesn't sound like you really know what you're doing.

Opening a TMX in TagEditor or converting it into HTML is quite pointless. You/the client want to use this TMX as a translation memory, right?
So you should either import it into Trados (which you've tried), or you can download a trial of another CAT tool (OmegaT, heartsome, Wordfast) just for reference, and try to do the same there.

If the TMX is damaged or doesn't adhere to the standards, you'll get error message.

The TMX Validator, as Antoni suggested, is a very good idea. Try that first, before you waste more time.

There is also OmegaT's validator, which is based on the same tool:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=737442

Post back your results here....

/Jan

Andrei Schapov
Andrei Schapov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:57
English to Russian
+ ...
... Dec 17, 2007

Elvira Schmid wrote:

Hi,

I cot a tmx file from a client. I use Trados Freelance 6.5. When I try to open the file I get the error message: "ssyacc0103e: Attempted read past eof"....Can anyone tell me how I can open the file?

Thank you.

Hi Elvira! I actually worked for the same client, and it seemed very strange to me that they want me to translate a "TMX" file. I found out that it is basically "XML" file, only bilingual. As the project is already over, sorry my advice is of no use to you

Hannu Jaatinen (X)
Hannu Jaatinen (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:57
English to Finnish
+ ...
How to open the TMX file in TE Aug 23, 2008

Hi Andrei,

Did you get an .ini file from the client or which tag settings did you use to open the TMX file?

For others: I have no idea why they have the offline files in TMX format, but that's just the way they are.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open tmx file with TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »