Mariana Font  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:57
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2007

Hi,
It's a basic question. I have been sent a translation memory and a source file.
Shouldn't I be able to work directly in the memory? When I open it there's nothing in either window. Am I suposed to import the source or something?
Thanks,
Mariana

Direct link Reply with quote

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's usually easier on the bilingual file Nov 21, 2007

Hello,

Well, it depends on what you want to do, but I usually work better on a bilingual file.

As far as the TM is concerned:
--------------------------------------
If you have a translation memory, open it in the Workbench.

If you have an "export" file from a translation memory, then create a TM with the original language pair and import the file you have received.

Then, your doc:
-------------------

If you are going to translate the doc, just open it in Word or TagEditor (depending on the source format), and start working. Since you have the Workbench open, you will have immediate access to matches and concordance options.

If you are going to review the doc, then probably it's better to work on the bilingual, translated file, so:
- Open the TM you received or imported in the Workbench
- Open Tools->Translate
- Make a backup copy of the original file (even though the Workbench will do it!), then drag and drop it in the Translation list or select the file with the button "Add"
- Translate the file: now you will have a bilingual file you can work with.

Of course, you can also work on the TM through File->Maintenance option, looking for the segments you wish to edit and editing them, but I would do it only for specific changes (i.e. change a term throughout the TM - assuming you do not allow duplicates in it -)

I hope this is what you need.

Best regards,

Ruth

[Edited at 2007-11-21 13:42]

Mariana Font  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think it's working Nov 21, 2007

Thankas a million. I hope you get such accurtae and fast replies when you have doubts.

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
:#-) Nov 22, 2007

De res! You're welcome

Ruth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to see the text in my memory

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs