Mobile menu

Trados Concordance window running away!
Thread poster: Mark Daniels

Mark Daniels  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
Serbian to English
+ ...
Nov 22, 2007

Well, I have never seen this one before!

I like to check the option to look up each new translation unit automatically in the concordance window. I have the main workbench window and concordance window side by side at the top of the screen.

But a weird thing that has recently started happening is that every time the concordance window refresh's or I reopen it, it gradually creeps up off the top of the screen! Eventually, if I don't drag it back down, it disappears completely and I actually have to go into the Windows registry and change the coordinates so that I can see it again! (If you need help doing this let me know).

Any idea what the cause of this might be? Yes, I am sure the solution is to reinstall TRADOS, but do I REALLY have to reinstall TRADOS every single time it displays buggy behaviour?!

Mark

Direct link Reply with quote

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:21
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
"Catch the window" game from SDL... Nov 22, 2007

...just a small free bonus for bored translators.

I had had the concordance window suddenly dissapear from the screen altogether. I don't remember doing anything that may have caused it. Reinstallation did NOT help. While I was trying to bring it back, I had to export the TM once in a while and search strings manually in the text file! At the same time, the Workbench window would open only full-screen or not at all (I had to cascade all windows to resize it). Also, selecting "maintenance" in File menu would "hang" the Workbench (evidently, the maintenance window opened somewhere in a parallel world and waited for me to find it).

Then, all these problems disappeared as suddenly when I changed my two monitors' arrangement from vertical to horizontal! This gave me some vague idea what the source of the problem might be, but not how to deal with it.. so please do tell what it is that you did with the registry.

The Trados is SDL Trados 2007, the "service-packed" edition.

While we are at this... the Trados toolbar also abandoned my Word (2002) without saying good-bye - and wouldn't come back. Trados menu and shortcuts work just fine. Every imaginable manipulations with templates have been tried, and so has been re-installation of MS Office. Now I think it might be hiding somewhere too. Unless it is a secret feature to help us learn them shortcuts... well, if it is, I must admit it works - I almost don't miss the toolbar anymore.

[Edited at 2007-11-22 15:32]

Mark Daniels  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Registry tip! Nov 22, 2007

Ha, I like it, "the Catch the Window Game"! So it's all a game! I was beginning to take it personally, like Trados didn't like me or something!

Well, here is the registry alteration which will hopefully recover your concordance window if it has disappeared:

(if you're not sure about editing the registry, better ask someone who is, you can really mess things up here if you don't know what you're doing!)

First exit Workbench, then:

1) Open Registry Editor by going to Start - Run and entering: regedit32

2) Find the key called HKEY_USERS\[big long number]\Software\Trados\TW4Win\Last Session (that big long number might well be different for every system, so maybe it will just be easier to do a search for "Last Session")

3) Click once on the folder Last Session and you will see two keys called ConcordanceX and ConcordanceY. These are evidently the coordinates of the concordance window on the screen, as saved at the end of each session.

4) Double-click on each one in turn and change the value to something like 100 and 100 (select Decimal first). You may see that one of the coordinates is some ridiculously high number. That'll be why you couldn't see it! I can't say exactly which coordinate you should put in there, it will depend on the resolution of your screen and other factors. But hopefully this will enable you to at least find the concordance window and then move it to where you want.

After you have done this you don't have to save anything, just close regedit and reload TW and.. hey presto..!

Hope that helps someone! Quite what this has to do with translation is another matter...

Mark D.

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:21
Spanish to French
+ ...
Laptop + Monitor Nov 22, 2007

I also have this issue when I switch from dual monitor (laptop+monitor) to laptop only configuration, even if I change the Display settings to laptop only. The computer keeps acting as if I still had both monitors on.
Usually, when this happens, I go back to the Display settings, and choose "Full screen" or "Extended desktop" (I don't remember which, but it is definitely one of the two) and all the windows are restaured on my main display.
Good luck!

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:21
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Thank you for the tip, Mark Nov 22, 2007

Mark Daniels wrote:
I was beginning to take it personally, like Trados didn't like me or something!

Oh, now I know...

I wrote:
I don't remember doing anything that may have caused it.

...yeah, I must have been unshaven that time

Péter Végh  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
A simple solution Jan 21, 2008

Hi guys,

One simple solution might be to increase the resolution fo your monitors to a high value. Then the runaway Concordance and Maintenance window should appear at the edge of one of the monitors, and you can drag it to a reasonable place. Then you can change the resulution back to normal. This way you do not have to fuss with the registry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Concordance window running away!

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs