Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 07:34
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nov 22, 2007

Hi all,

I am trying to work on some very long TTX files (source format is XLS) in TagEditor, but after a while CPU usage jumps to 100% and I can't go any further. Each time, I have to kill manually the TE process in the Task Manager.
I have reorganised the TM, exported it and recreated it, copied new file and tried :
1) Translate to Fuzzy -> again the 100% CPU frenzy
2)pre-translate -> then I can't open the file and receive an exception error.

My clien
... See more
Hi all,

I am trying to work on some very long TTX files (source format is XLS) in TagEditor, but after a while CPU usage jumps to 100% and I can't go any further. Each time, I have to kill manually the TE process in the Task Manager.
I have reorganised the TM, exported it and recreated it, copied new file and tried :
1) Translate to Fuzzy -> again the 100% CPU frenzy

My client has sent me smaller files (13K wd files cut up in three part; still big, IMHO) but I am still facing the same issue.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Are you aware of any limit on the size of Excel files translated in TagEditor?
FYI, my configuration is: W XP, Office 2000, SDL TRADOS 2007 SP1 (bld 826).
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:34
English to Swedish
+ ...
TE consumes a lot of resources! Nov 22, 2007

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

Has anyone experienced this before?

Hi Nicolas,

Sure, this is a wellknown behavior for big files in TE.

I had major headache with large INX files earlier.
But: did you consider that this might be a hardware issue?!

After I upgraded from 1GB RAM to 2GB, things are soo much smoother over here.

What are your hardware specs?

For best performance, not just RAM matters, but processor power, hard disk throughput/speed and last but not least: efficient cooling of CPU and casing!

/Jan

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My setup Nov 22, 2007

Thanks for you answer.
I am working on 1.6GHz (only one CPU core) laptop (Dell e1405/640m).
The RAM is indeed only 1GB.
I think my HD is a 7200 rpm model, but I don't remember the access time.

[Modifié le 2007-11-22 16:49]

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Nov 23, 2007

I went to my local computer store and had my laptop beefed up with 2gigs instead of 1 (and had it dusted a little bit as well...it badly needed it), but I am still facing the same problem.
I am almost convinced that the files should be even smaller...

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:34
English to Swedish
+ ...
What's your error message? Nov 28, 2007

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

Hi again Nicolas,

Congrats on upgrading your RAM, it's a good investment!
I guess the exception you got was a Windows error, not a Trados message, right?
You could also try to send it to the Trados support to hear what they say about it.

Does this behavior always occur with big files, or just from this particular client?

Try to create large Excel files on your own, but keep the content to plain text, don't insert any advance features. Open them in TE and compare the handling. Any difference?

For laptops, I always suspect cooling to be the culprit if they behave erratically. If you can feel that the casing is warm when the CPU throttles, get plastic cooling clamps from your freezer and place your laptop on top of it.

For more specific heat diagnostics, download a shareware program like Speedfan, it's very useful!

/Jan

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No error message Nov 28, 2007

Hi Jan,

The error seemed to be TRADOS specific as I did not notice it with other programs. The only error message I ever got was about fonts in TagEditor. The rest of the time, it was only the 100% CPU usage in the middle of those particular files.
Finally, I asked the client's engineer to have a look at them. They reprocessed them and now it works real nice. No more sluggish Translate to Fuzzy or anything...
Nevertheless, the dusting really helped as the side vent was r
... See more
Hi Jan,

The error seemed to be TRADOS specific as I did not notice it with other programs. The only error message I ever got was about fonts in TagEditor. The rest of the time, it was only the 100% CPU usage in the middle of those particular files.
Finally, I asked the client's engineer to have a look at them. They reprocessed them and now it works real nice. No more sluggish Translate to Fuzzy or anything...
Nevertheless, the dusting really helped as the side vent was really heating up (now that I see how cool it stays afterwards).
I plan on performing the maintenance Windows reinstall sooner or later as I find my computer to be pretty slow at startup and shutdown despite the additional RAM.

Thanks for your tips!
Nicolas
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file limit in TagEditor

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »