Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Updates in TM before clean up
Thread poster: Echo (Sin Jin) Lim

Echo (Sin Jin) Lim
United States
Member (2004)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 23, 2007

Hi all,

I just wanted to know, if i have translated the same phrase previously, and then later on when it appears as 100 match in my translation, and i found that some term was wrongly translated, so i modified in the later phrase, will the earlier translated phrase (with mistake) changed by trao automatically?

Regards,

Echo

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:57
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The answer is yes and no,,, Nov 24, 2007

The segment is changed in TM - that's for yes. But it is no, unless / until you freshen up the previous (incorrect) translations in the document you are working on. The best way to do it is by using the Tools>Translate in TWB. It allows you to translate your document(s) in batch using the current/latest version of TM.

Regards

Vito

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use search and replace Nov 24, 2007

This works also in TE, if you remove target segment protection.

Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:57
Member (2004)
French to English
Multiple Translations checked? Nov 24, 2007

The issue might be further complicated if it's a TM that allows multiple translations (you can check this in Files/Properties) - if so, the 'false' segment probably won't be removed from the TM and the previous sentence won't be automatically changed. If you begin again from the top and translate to fuzzy, Trados will no doubt stop at the sentence in question though and alert you to the fact that there are multiple translations for that segement. If you want to be sure that a false segment is removed from a TM allowing multiple translations, it's best to manually delete it.

HTH,

Kate

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updates in TM before clean up

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums