Mobile menu

Conditional hyphens in Word - how to turn off in TagEditor?
Thread poster: Alexandra Davidson
Alexandra Davidson
Local time: 10:13
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2007

Hi all,

(Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I searched the forum and could not find any thread about it...)

My customer works with Word and uses a lot of conditional hyphens in his German text. Makes sense, really, but causes problems during translation.

These conditional hyphens turn into tags in TagEditor and the text might then look like this:

"Füll-tag-maschinen, wenn nicht in G-tag-brauch, sind leicht zu rei-tag-nigen. Das Bedienungs-tag-handbuch enthält weitere Infor-tag-mationen."

This -tag- (can't display it here correctly, but it looks like this, only without the spaces: & # x 1 f ; ) is what is messing my translators up. Some of them don't realize what these tags are and that they need to either delete the tag or add spaces before or after them so that the words don't stick together in the target language.

Is there a way to tell Trados/TagEditor to remove these conditional hyphens when converting the .doc file to .ttx? Most of the translators I work with use Trados 7.0 or 7.5, some of them maybe higher versions.

Or do the Word files need to be edited before bringing them into TagEditor.

Many thanks for your help,
Alexandra

[Edited at 2007-11-29 16:12]

[Edited at 2007-11-29 16:13]

[Edited at 2007-11-29 16:14]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Edit in Word Nov 29, 2007

Hi Alexandra,

That's what I do in such cases.

Best, Ralf

Alexandra Davidson
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ahh, that is too bad.... Nov 29, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Alexandra,

That's what I do in such cases.

Best, Ralf

I get a ton of these Word jobs, so if editing in Word beforehand is the only solution, then I will have to talk to my client again. We will need to discuss some file preparation fees then.

If anybody else has an idea to approach this from the Trados side, please let me know.

Thanks!
Alexandra

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Makro Nov 29, 2007

Hello,

you can do the search and replace with a Makro.
It is easy to create.

Hans

Alexandra Davidson
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Word macro is an option Nov 29, 2007

I would of course not do this by hand in Word, though I was hoping to be able to control this from the Trados side. Like a switch in the Word filter settings or somewhere that says "delete special characters > optional hyphens". STAR Transit can do it, why not Trados?

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
it's all in translator's workflow Nov 30, 2007

Alexandra Davidson wrote:

I would of course not do this by hand in Word, though I was hoping...

Simply tell your translators (if necessary) what the tag does, and to use it as it would be (if at all) in their target language. In English it would probably disappear all but completely; in Dutch it would have to be used almost as in German.
Having it omitted from the source would damage the entire job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conditional hyphens in Word - how to turn off in TagEditor?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs