Thread poster: Hendarto Setiadi

Hendarto Setiadi  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:47
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Dec 1, 2007

Dear all,

I wonder if it is possible to install SDL Trados Freelance 2007 on an external hard disk, so that it is be available on my desktop PC and and on my laptop (not concurrently). Would there be any drawbacks performance-wise?

Thanks in advance,
Hendarto

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:47
English to Indonesian
+ ...
not possible Dec 1, 2007

as it is not a portable program, it won't work. at least it won't work for the second computer.
windows program usually put some of its part in its system, not to mention changes in registry.
you might make it into portable program though, but that's another topic and might be illegal.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:47
English to French
+ ...
It will install on two machines Dec 1, 2007

Normally, when you buy a license for Trados, you actually get two - the second is for backing up the program. I am not aware that this backup is defined any further. A backup is relative. In any case, if you try it, Trados normally installs on two machines (of course, you can't use both copies concurrently), although I haven't tried with the latest version and I know it does require activation as opposed to earlier versions. Nevertheless, I had both version 6.5 and 7.1 installed on two computers and I never had a problem. This came in handy when I was using my laptop away from home.

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 04:47
German to English
TM and MT on external HD possible Dec 1, 2007

As already explained, you can't transport the program between computers on an external hard drive.

However, you may put your translation memories and MultiTerm termbases on an external hard drive so you can use them on your desktop and laptop computers.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:47
English to Swedish
+ ...
Maybe... Dec 3, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

as it is not a portable program, it won't work. at least it won't work for the second computer.
windows program usually put some of its part in its system, not to mention changes in registry.

Hmm, with some tinkering, you could install Windows in the external HD too, and boot from the external HD directly. That way you could get away with installing Trados too. But not many PCs support this natively...

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing SDL Trados Freelance 2007 on external hard disk

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs