Marta Riosalido
Spain
Local time: 01:37
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 4, 2007

Hi!

I just received a pdf document which has to be translated with TRADOS Tag Editor and the client says that I have to deliver the translation in .xml format. How do I have to proceed? Do I have to convert the .pdf into a .xml document first?

Thank you very much!

[Bearbeitet am 2007-12-04 08:34]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-04 08:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Mission Impossible? Dec 4, 2007

Hi Marta,

I just received a pdf document which has to be translated with TRADOS Tag Editor

...which is technically impossible. May I suggest to read the numerous topics on how to handle PDF documents?

and the client says that I have to deliver the translation in .xml format.

Have you actually asked your client? XML files are customised by their very nature, so the very least they would need to provide is a DTD file or XML schema outlining the required format.

Best regards,
Ralf

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi!! Dec 4, 2007

First of all, thank you very much.

So, this is my guess: I have to convert this pdf document into a .xml document first? Is that it?

Please answers in plain English!!!

Have a nice day

Marta

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check with your client Dec 4, 2007

So, this is my guess: I have to convert this pdf document into a .xml document first? Is that it?

TBH I don't see much sense in that: theoretically, this could be possible, but what you need to understand is that there is no such thing as a generic XML document. The very purpose of XML is being able to create your own document structure.

Once again, I suggest to ask your client for detailed instructions. Given that you mentioned TagEditor, would they perhaps want a TTX file? (TradosTag format is a specific XML-based format - perhaps they got confused with this.)

Unless you're familiar with XML authoring, I would suggest to refrain from this one.

Best regards,
Ralf

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agree with Ralf Dec 4, 2007

This is a _very_ vague instruction by your client.

Basically, you could of course - after converting the PDF using OCR software (e.g. Abbyy Fine Reader, see other topics as Ralf indicated) save the document in OpenOffice, which is an XML format, or just use the latest Word version, which also uses XML. But the question remains: what is it good for and what does the client need it for?

Darius Porebski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It really is impossible - believe it Dec 4, 2007

Hi Marta,

As Ralf already said: Go and ask your client. He should supply you with the original xml.
Otherwise: sorry, no chance. There's no way converting a pdf back into the original xml.

Regards
Darius

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Clueless customer Dec 4, 2007

Marta Riosalido wrote:

Marta

Hi Marta,

Ralf is absolutely right.
Use the little search box here on Proz, at the top of this page, type in "convert PDF" and read up on all the previous knowledge. Lots and lots has already been said on this topic.

But basically, this request from the client is nonsense.

XML in its own nature is an eXtensible Markup Language, which means that the client should define the elements himself.
Sure, you can do it for him, but it's pointless since you don't know how it should be used in the end.

Also, Trados depends on a DTD to understand the XML elements properly, and this DTD should always be provided by the client.
Even if you conjure up an XMXL by yourself, like Wolfgand suggests, Trados will keep on asking for the proper DTD.

/Jan

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Dec 4, 2007

The thing is that I received this pdf document and I sent a .ttx document. But now the clients claims an .xml file.

What I did was the following: I converted the pdf into a Word document, which I then opened with TagEditor and TagEditos saved this file as .ttx. Now they say that they need the translation in .xml format. Does TagEditor automatically convert Word doc in .xml format?

Ralf, sorry, but I don't get youu point about refraining from .... whatever.

Have a nice day!

[Bearbeitet am 2007-12-04 09:08]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
At the risk of repeating myself: ask them what exactly they want Dec 4, 2007

Hi again,

The thing is that I received this pdf document and I sent a .ttx document. But now the clients claims an .xml file.

What I did was the following: I converted the pdf into a Word document, which I then opened with TagEditor and TagEditos saved this file as .ttx. Now they say that they need the translation in .xml format. Does TagEditor automatically convert Word doc in .xml format?

You did not indicate which Office version you're using - AFAIK Word 2007 is XML-based. But once again: I believe you should ask your client what exactly/i> it is they want.

Ralf, sorry, but I don't get youu point about refraining from .... whatever.

Your original posting did not indicate that you had already converted the PDF file into Word. My point was that unless you are familiar with the file formats and workflows involved, you shouldn't accept the job. (As it turns out, it would appear that your client isn't aware of what's required...)

Best regards,
Ralf

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 4, 2007

OK, got it, thanks.

The thing is that the client is now putting all the blame on me and I'm afraid that I won't get paid. I mean, if I had received the documents in the right format, Iwouldn't be here asking what it seems to me stupid questions.

Thanks to all of you!!!

Marta

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
put plainly Dec 4, 2007

Marta Riosalido wrote:

Your client is an idiot.

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plainly Dec 4, 2007

saitch wrote:

Marta Riosalido wrote:

Your client is an idiot.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You made my day!!!!

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Try this... Dec 4, 2007

Marta Riosalido wrote:

The thing is that the client is now putting all the blame on me and I'm afraid that I won't get paid. I mean, if I had received the documents in the right format, Iwouldn't be here asking what it seems to me stupid questions.

Marta,

If you want to shut the client up, why don't you just give them an XML and see what they'll do.

Like Ralf saif, if you have Word 2007, you can simply open your .DOC and resave as XML

And there are plenty of trialware that can do the same thing:
http://www.rtf-to-xml.com/index.html

The problem is, each of these tools will produce a different XML, since the elements are not defined beforehand. That's why the resulting XML will be useless for pretty much any purpose.

But if the client insist on having it, just as a filler, you can give it to them!

/Jan

Igor Indruch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Was the output specified as a part of the job? Dec 4, 2007

Because if not, then client is realy an idiot - creating xml is basicaly not difficult, but it is not a common skill required of translator. It is more related to programming.

In my opinion you should give the translation to the client in pdf - because the common practice is: format received = format returned - if not speciafied otherwise.

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
ttx document is in XML format! Dec 5, 2007

Marta Riosalido wrote:

This is too funny... You sent a .ttx document, and the customer wanted a .xml file?
Well... just change the extension, as anyway, inside, it is XML format !
Open the file with WordPad, for instance, and check the first line !
Of course, unlike HTML, there is not just one XML format... but it is, indeed, some XML !

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate a PDF file - client wants XML

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs