https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/91069-sdlx_slooow_on_textboxes.html

SDLX slooow on textboxes
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 4, 2007

I attempted to convert a Word-doc with lots of textboxes using Project Wizard. After half an hour the "wizard" seemed to have gone not very far, and I had to terminate it using Cntrl-Alt-Del. I tried this twice. The process had captured all recources and the harddisc was spinning all the time. But no result. (There was a new doc-file with 20 times the amount of the original file).
Tageditor has no problems with the same file.
Is this a known feature of SDLX, that it cannot handle tex
... See more
I attempted to convert a Word-doc with lots of textboxes using Project Wizard. After half an hour the "wizard" seemed to have gone not very far, and I had to terminate it using Cntrl-Alt-Del. I tried this twice. The process had captured all recources and the harddisc was spinning all the time. But no result. (There was a new doc-file with 20 times the amount of the original file).
Tageditor has no problems with the same file.
Is this a known feature of SDLX, that it cannot handle textboxes?
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:06
English to German
RTF? Dec 5, 2007

Hi Heinrich,

Shot from the hip: Have you tried saving your doc as RTF before processing it with Project Wizard? This would be the first thing I try in your situation.

Regards,
Stefan

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The same with rtf Dec 5, 2007

I tried this now, converted with Word to rtf (took a long time, file size grew from 29 to 430 Mb), then with Project Wizard.
I had to abort after 20 minutes. Windows had to increase virtual memory, but the process went nowhere.
Now I converted from ttx to itd and have a file of 91 kB. But on opening the file is empty!

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Use Werecat to convert Dec 6, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Is this a known feature of SDLX, that it cannot handle textboxes?

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

Red Werecat extracts text from PowerPoint to Word. Blue Werecat extracts text from texboxes and similar objects (shapes) from Word documents.

HTH,

David Turner

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So is it a bug in SDLX Dec 6, 2007

I do not have to use SDLX. Trados tageditor has no problem. Can you confirm that this is a feature of Sdlx not to be able to handle textboxes or is this related to this file maybe?

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
No idea Dec 6, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I do not have to use SDLX. Trados tageditor has no problem. Can you confirm that this is a feature of Sdlx not to be able to handle textboxes or is this related to this file maybe?

If you're asking me, I don't know. Last time I looked at SDLX I thought it could but there again I'd never use SDLX, TadEditor or TWB to translate anything.
Maybe you need to double click on the text boxes for access?
I was suggesting Werecat as a general workaround for any tool having problems with text boxes or Powerpoint files.

BR,
David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX slooow on textboxes

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »