Marcela Hashim  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:22
Member (2004)
English to Czech
+ ...
Dec 6, 2007

Hello,
I am translating a document containing locked XTranslated units in TagEditor. I have discovered a number of mistakes in these locked units and would like to amend the source text. Is this possible?
Or would it be too difficult/time consuming and the best way is to try to get the source text prior to the units being locked?

Thank you,
Marcela

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 14:22
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You should discuss the issue with your customer Dec 6, 2007

(1) Xtranslated segments are used by project managers to protect units they do not want to be touched (and most likely they will refuse to pay for anything you do with them).

(2) Correcting source text is a disputable and - again - most often unpaid activity (unless specifically agreed upon with the customer).

(3) Technically, you can switch off the protection of XTranslated units. But, for the above-mentioned reasons, I do not recommend it.

If you feel like it, you may (as a special favour to your customer) tell them their sourec text is strange but I would not go beyond that. If the source is so bad you are unable to translate it, that is a different story, of course...

HTH

Antonin

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados - TagEditor - Editing XTranslated units

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs