https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/91328-using_dragon_naturally_speaking_with_trados.html

Using Dragon Naturally Speaking with Trados
Thread poster: Edie73
Edie73
Edie73

Local time: 01:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 7, 2007

Hi everybody,

I am thinking about buying Dragon Naturally Speaking, but was wondering if that works in combination with Trados (7.5). Is there anybody that has any experience with this?
And is the Standard version good enough, or should I go for a 'higher' version?
Many thanks for your answers!

Best,
Edith.

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Maybe Preferred Dec 7, 2007

Hello Edith,

I think the preferred version would be fine. Profesional seems too expensive for the advantages you get for. But there is a forum for this "speech recognition".

Kind regards

Noe

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:47
Swedish to English
+ ...
Preferred Dec 7, 2007

I agree with Noe Tessmann about Dragon Preferred.
I have been using it successfuly with all versions of Trados for years.

Edie73
Edie73

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for your quick answers!

I will also look for the topic 'speech recognition'

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:47
English to French
+ ...
Preferred seems to be the standard among translators Dec 7, 2007

I also have been using the Preferred version for a while, with pretty much all my software, including Trados. It works great in TagEditor too. If you do buy, make sure you get a quality headset that will record your voice as accurately as possible while filtering out most of the ambient noise. Make sure the headset is very comfortable - listening to an hour of iPod with lousy headphones is OK, but spending six hours with a lousy headset can be a pain, literally, so try to get one of those cushio... See more
I also have been using the Preferred version for a while, with pretty much all my software, including Trados. It works great in TagEditor too. If you do buy, make sure you get a quality headset that will record your voice as accurately as possible while filtering out most of the ambient noise. Make sure the headset is very comfortable - listening to an hour of iPod with lousy headphones is OK, but spending six hours with a lousy headset can be a pain, literally, so try to get one of those cushiony headsets.

Also play with your settings a lot. Use the spelling/correction functions as often as possible in the first few weeks so that Dragon learns to speak like you do by the time you need to rely upon it.

Also make sure you buy the appropriate bilingual version if that's what you would like. I have the French version, which means I can dictate either in English or in French. When you order, make sure you specify language options - several translators were surprised to find out that the version they bought is English monolingual.

All the best!

[Edited at 2007-12-07 16:14]
Collapse

Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking v 9.5 conflicts Jan 18, 2008

Dragon conflicts with Trados (I have Freelance version 8.0) - and it dumps the contents of the dictation box if you're not careful (you have to use the dictation box with Firefox). Using the dictation box I got the Workbench message:

(352576556): invalid RTF format

Is there anyone who knows what this REALLY means. Please reply to [email protected] as I don't have the time to browse.

There are oth
... See more
Dragon conflicts with Trados (I have Freelance version 8.0) - and it dumps the contents of the dictation box if you're not careful (you have to use the dictation box with Firefox). Using the dictation box I got the Workbench message:

(352576556): invalid RTF format

Is there anyone who knows what this REALLY means. Please reply to [email protected] as I don't have the time to browse.

There are other issues with DNS version 9.5 so I would say stick to version 8.10 unless you have Vista, which won't run anything less than 9.5 - not even 9.0 and 9.1.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Dragon Naturally Speaking with Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »