Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:07
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Dec 7, 2007

Hello,

I have received a pretranslated word file. More than 50 % of the segments have been translated, whereas the rest are to be translated.
There is no TM delivered with it.

So - when I open a new segment, I simply have to do a 'set close / next open / get )with the translated segments, but with the untranslated either I'd have to do 'restore source' before starting .. or overwriting with the translated text to create the TM.

It appears that this is
... See more
Hello,

I have received a pretranslated word file. More than 50 % of the segments have been translated, whereas the rest are to be translated.
There is no TM delivered with it.

So - when I open a new segment, I simply have to do a 'set close / next open / get )with the translated segments, but with the untranslated either I'd have to do 'restore source' before starting .. or overwriting with the translated text to create the TM.

It appears that this is standard procedure for this agency, as they put it 'because I have to deliver uncleaned files'.

That's OK .. but is there an easier way for me to deal with the file than this 'simpleton' way I can imagine ?

The document is of a total of about 9,000 words.

I hope that this dip into the well of wisdom of the forum will put me on the right track.

Thanks in advance
Birthe
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I don't understand Dec 7, 2007

Is the target field of your untranslated segment empty?
What exactly do you want to do?

Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the whole doc had been pre-translated ... Dec 7, 2007

.... both 100% match and new, so that the target was a mixture of source language and target language !

But the PM has now sent me the TM, so that I can work with it instead.

I understand that they should have pretanslated to 100% match only.

Thanks.
Birthe

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Indeed Dec 7, 2007

Glad it's been sorted out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pre-translated word file in TWB

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »