Mobile menu

Translation of multiple equal segments in Trados
Thread poster: Kristine Sprula (Lielause)

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:31
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Dec 9, 2007

Dear Colleagues,
I have a word document in which several words and phrases (each make one separate segment in Trados) are repeated quite many times. I would like to know whether it is possible to translated them in Trados (I have 6.5) all together, not opening segment by segment and accepting 100% match.

Regards,
Kristine

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use SDLX Dec 9, 2007

It has the auto-propagate function, so every segment will be updated when the first is translated or edited. In Trados there is no such function.

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Heinrich, Dec 9, 2007

You just confirmed my suspicion

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-12-09 15:01]

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:31
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
No auto-propagate, but... Dec 9, 2007

If you use the translate to fuzzy function (Alt + *), it is still quicker than confirming every segment. You can also pretranslate the doc of course, but you will have to go through it anyway and thus use the translate to fuzzy function, so I think it's no use in your case.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:31
English to French
+ ...
Another possibility using Trados Dec 9, 2007

When you first analyze the document with Trados, you can ask to export frequent segments. Then, when you have exported those (as a text file, much like a TM), you can translate those segments directly in the export text file. Then, just import that into your existing TM and pretranslate the document. All occurrences of the segments you have translated in the export text file will be translated without even opening the document - the rest will stay as it was when you got the document. From there on, you just need to use the Translate to fuzzy command, as described above, to skip the already translated segments.

This takes a bit longer than the simple Translate to fuzzy process described above, but the advantage is that in this case, you will be able to run an analysis before translating the rest, which will tell you how many segments you actually have left to translate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of multiple equal segments in Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs