Mobile menu

Word count Tag editor different from word count in Word -> WHY?
Thread poster: Constance Mannshardt

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:08
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 10, 2007

There's what I got: I translated a ttx-file in Tag-Editor. The log file from my client says there were 899 words to be translated. After doing the job I wondered if the word count was right, since I had the feeling of translating a lot more than just 900 words. So I did a new analize with the original ttx-file and TM and got the same result (899 word). Still bothered I decided to copy the TagEditor file (copy & paste) and paste it in word. I counted the words in the pasted document in Word (= the words to be translated - tags) and got the following result: 2959 words!
That doesn't make sense to me! Any hints?

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Tags Dec 10, 2007

Because Word counts the words contained in the tags, whereas TagEditor counts only the words to be translated (excluding tags).

I hope this helps

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
How did you purge all the tags? Dec 10, 2007

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Because Word counts the words contained in the tags, whereas TagEditor counts only the words to be translated (excluding tags).

I hope this helps

Constance,

Depends how you cleared all the tags before pasting them into Word, really. No way for us to know unless we sat next to you. There are internal as well as external tags, some might still be there?!

But why don't you just do like this:
clean the TTX, and open the resulting .DOC in Word (assuming it's a Word document). Use the native Statistics in Word to check.

/Jan

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
why the ms-word count in the first place Dec 10, 2007

Hi! when you are processing the document using a tag editor you should be taking tag editor word count. Brandis

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"why the ms-word count in the first place" Dec 10, 2007

+

MSword count different - so what... There's thermometers, showing 32 degrees and my ar*e is freezing. They're just not the right type.

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Dec 11, 2007

Mary Claudes answer got everything I needed

And Vito, I just wanted to control the analize which my client sent me, since we had had some differences in counting words earlier.

Thank zou all for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count Tag editor different from word count in Word -> WHY?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs