Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 11, 2007

In the middle of a translation of a Word-doc using TE I notice, that part of the text has been formatted manually (using line-breaks and tabulator). So TE presents me only chunks of text, and my German translation will be partly longer than the source. So I have to post-edit the stuff.

When translating in Word one is able to reformat such passages on the fly, but of course not in TE. The chunks are surrounded by lots of internal and external tags.
I would like to ask now, if I could have avoided this situation when opening the original file. Or how would you proceed? Can I through the tags out?
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Cut and paste, leaving segments empty Dec 11, 2007

What I would do is cutting the overhanging text (ie tex, cut from the main body through a paragraph mark) to get complete segments (sentences) and leave some segments empty. After you finished the text you will easilly identify them in Word as emty lines.
You cannot join segments over a paragraph mark, so beside reformatting the original in Word and restarting the translation this is the only way I know to deal with this problem.

Jerzy

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quite empty? Dec 11, 2007

Somewhere I read, that TE might crash if segments are quite empty.
Thanks, Jerzy!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If the source file is Word, no problem Dec 11, 2007

When the source is Powerpoint or InDesign, then you must not leave the segments empty. For Powerpoint at lest one letter is necessary, for InDesign a simple space is enough.

Best regards
Jerzy

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
adapt segmentation Dec 11, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

In the middle of a translation of a Word-doc using TE I notice, that part of the text has been formatted manually (using line-breaks and tabulator). So TE presents me only chunks of text, (...)

In TWB/segmentation rules you can disable Tab and New Line (line break). The Tab will certainly work; the line break tag may still be a problem.

That TE should crash when you leave a segment untranslated ("empty") is, er, rubbish.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ever tried to leave a segment completly empty, when source is Powerpoint? Dec 11, 2007

In my SDL Trados 2007 this causes TE to crash promptly

You can also not achieve anything by changing the segmentation rules, when segments are separated by paragraph marks.

PS
An untranslated segment is not "empty". With empty I mean a segment, where previously were text and it was removed (ie because it needed to be moved to a previous segment in order to get a complete sentence there). Leaving segments untranslated does not cause any problems.

[Edited at 2007-12-11 15:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I avoid manual formatting?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs