Mobile menu

Workbench freezes when I try to clean
Thread poster: French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
French to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2007

I'm using Trados Freelance 7. When I try to clean up the Word document I am working on, workbench freezes.
I am getting frustrated and desperate - and of course this is the one time when I forgot to save another copy of the file, so this is the only one I've got.
Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? Is it even possible to send the file to some kind soul with Trados and have you try to clean it up for me?
Ideally, I need to get this back to my client this afternoon.

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Fix document, settings, TE + more info Dec 11, 2007

Hello Mara,

the first thing - after making a backup file for your unclean document - you have to try in a case like this is Fix document - it probably will not make a difference, but it's only one click and it might just be the solution.

Secondly, do you have Word in Print View? Try setting it to Normal View, otherwise it may try to adjust page-layout while cleaning.

You can also try to open the doc in Tag Editor and see if you can clean it from there.

Third, and very important: what version of Word do you use?

I don't have time to work on it for you (deadline tomorrow, and it's tight!) but there are a whole lot of kind souls out there, so don't panic.

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
save as RTF Dec 11, 2007

Hi Mara,
You could try saving a copy as RTF, sometimes this works.

I don't mind trying to clean in for you (Word2002), but I'm leaving the offcie at 15.30 (will be back around 16.30) (see my contact details)

[Edited at 2007-12-11 14:05]

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Close, but no cigar... Dec 11, 2007

Thank you both for your help! I tried saving my file in rtf, clicked on Fix document and set the view to Normal, and it got to 5% clean up before freezing. At least it was further than before!

My version of Word is 2000, I believe.

Renee, I am going to try to send it to you, if you don't mind...

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
big file Dec 11, 2007

Just realized my file is 20 MB, too heavy to send by email - this may be what is causing the freeze in Trados?

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Zip? Dec 11, 2007

Perhaps you can zip the file to compress it and send it to Renée.
Yes, Trados/Word does have a problem with big files.

Have you tried opening and cleaning with Tag Editor?

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
split your file Dec 11, 2007

You could split your file and send it in different zips...

[Edited at 2007-12-11 18:27]

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try this site Dec 11, 2007

Hi Marta,

Why don`t you try this site

http://www.sendthisfile.com/

It works for me
Regards,
Marina

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Dec 11, 2007

I don't know what gods were listened or what stars were properly aligned, but I decided to give it one last shot, and it worked. Yihoo! I think it was also a matter of giving it enough time - the whole cleaning process took over 20 minutes, when I am used to it being done in a flash.
At any rate, I really appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions and offer your help. Certainly makes you feel less "alone" when these types of things happen.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench freezes when I try to clean

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs