When to create a new translation memory?
Thread poster: jan1
jan1
jan1
German
Dec 12, 2007

Hello,

I have been using Trados Workbench for quite a while now, mainly translating for a software company. Now that there will be an update of the current version, which will be used parallel to the 'old' version, I wonder if it is useful to create a new workbench in order to use the appropriate terminology for each version (some terms changed slightly, others were translated completely differently).

My question therefore is: Is there a need to create a new workbench
... See more
Hello,

I have been using Trados Workbench for quite a while now, mainly translating for a software company. Now that there will be an update of the current version, which will be used parallel to the 'old' version, I wonder if it is useful to create a new workbench in order to use the appropriate terminology for each version (some terms changed slightly, others were translated completely differently).

My question therefore is: Is there a need to create a new workbench for different projects, for example, in order to avoid using the wrong terminology?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-12 09:56]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Edit the old TM Dec 12, 2007

If there is a new manual with improved terminology, I would edit the old TM and continue to use it. Hardly there will be any use for the old terminology, or what do you think?
Cheers
Heinrich

jan1
jan1
German
TOPIC STARTER
Two software versions used at the same time Dec 12, 2007

Thank you for your suggestion.
However, in this case both versions, the current version and a second version covering a slightly different topic though partly using the same terminology are used. The terminology of the first version, however, was partly retranslated for the second version. In order to avoid getting confused over which terminology to use for a version, I was thinking of creating a new workbench. But how meaningful would that be if you constantly had to change between these
... See more
Thank you for your suggestion.
However, in this case both versions, the current version and a second version covering a slightly different topic though partly using the same terminology are used. The terminology of the first version, however, was partly retranslated for the second version. In order to avoid getting confused over which terminology to use for a version, I was thinking of creating a new workbench. But how meaningful would that be if you constantly had to change between these two workbenches when translating?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use fields and field codes instead Dec 12, 2007

Insert a field (picklist) called "Version" with a value "New" into your existing TM. When translating the new version, make this field active, so each segment will be labelled "Version: new". This way you will be able to maintain differencies and keep only one TM for working.

Jerzy

jan1
jan1
German
TOPIC STARTER
How to insert a field into an existing TM Dec 12, 2007

Sounds great!
I am using SDL TRADOS 2007 Translator's Workbench but have not yet come across the option for inserting a field into an existing TM. I hope you could help me on this, too.

Many thanks in advance!

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Insert a field Dec 12, 2007

inserting a field into an existing TM:

WorkBench >> File >> Setup >> Fields

Is this what you're talking about?

Regards,
Haiyang

jan1
jan1
German
TOPIC STARTER
How to activate a new field Dec 19, 2007

Thanks for your advise on how to create a new field. After having sucessfully created a new field for the new version I am still looking for a way to activate it. Does anybody know how this works?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When to create a new translation memory?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »