https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/91850-trados2007_w_word2007_still_sluggish_after_vista_sp1_and_office_2007_sp1.html

Trados2007 w/Word2007 still sluggish after Vista SP1 AND Office 2007 SP1
Thread poster: Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 14:40
English to Portuguese
Dec 13, 2007

Trados 2007, Windows Vista and MS Word in Office 2007 have not been a good match. Trying to use Trados 2007 interface within Word 2007 is an exercise of patience. The reason alleged was some "VBA performance problems within Vista and within the new Word 2007, already known by Microsoft".

Well, I have just upgraded my Windows Vista to Vista SP1. I also upgraded my Office 2007 to the new Office 2007 SP1. Both were released this week.

To my surprise, Trados 2007 and Word
... See more
Trados 2007, Windows Vista and MS Word in Office 2007 have not been a good match. Trying to use Trados 2007 interface within Word 2007 is an exercise of patience. The reason alleged was some "VBA performance problems within Vista and within the new Word 2007, already known by Microsoft".

Well, I have just upgraded my Windows Vista to Vista SP1. I also upgraded my Office 2007 to the new Office 2007 SP1. Both were released this week.

To my surprise, Trados 2007 and Word 2007 are still unacceptably sluggish. I think Trados/SDL should re-evaluate those "VBA issues already known by Microsoft" and come with a solution of their own, because I think Microsoft "rested the case"...

Edric
Collapse

Iván Madrigal (X)
Iván Madrigal (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:40
English to Spanish
Same here Dec 14, 2007

I totally agree there...

I have a "home kit" where the movies, music and everything is, it's a decent kit, PIV 4.5, 4G of Ram, etc. There I have Windows Vista Premium, Office 2007 and Trados 2007 (trial). I keep updating and trying patches and things, but the performance is still not acceptable.

My production laptop is still with Windows XP Pro SP2, Office 2003 Pro and Trados SDL 2006 Freelance.
And it seems it will stay as such for a long time. So far I have had
... See more
I totally agree there...

I have a "home kit" where the movies, music and everything is, it's a decent kit, PIV 4.5, 4G of Ram, etc. There I have Windows Vista Premium, Office 2007 and Trados 2007 (trial). I keep updating and trying patches and things, but the performance is still not acceptable.

My production laptop is still with Windows XP Pro SP2, Office 2003 Pro and Trados SDL 2006 Freelance.
And it seems it will stay as such for a long time. So far I have had no good news about Trados 8 and Office 2007.

Please prove us wrong, let us know your experience.

I
Collapse

David Van der Vloet
David Van der Vloet  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2006)
English to Flemish
+ ...
you're so right... Jan 9, 2008

Dear me... Having the latest top-notch technologies is not a good thing for translators these days. I have upgraded everything and performance has gone down dramatically. I really wish SDL would come up with a solution for their latest product. I've been looking for a version of Office 2003 around, but no local store had any. One store manager even advised me to get a cracked version, as he was unable to find any stores selling Office 2003.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Having Word 2003 is still a must... Jan 10, 2008

Hi David

You really need to get Office 2003, since the problem only occurs with Word 2007, not Word 2003, unless you stick to Tag Editor, and do not use the Word interface.

The problem is that, sometimes, you receive a Word file that does not go well with Tag Editor, so you need the Workbench-Word interface.

Despite my system being a fast one (Vista 64-bit, 5 GB SDRAM, CPU Intel Core2Duo E6600), the performance of the combo Word 2007+Workbench 2007 is only
... See more
Hi David

You really need to get Office 2003, since the problem only occurs with Word 2007, not Word 2003, unless you stick to Tag Editor, and do not use the Word interface.

The problem is that, sometimes, you receive a Word file that does not go well with Tag Editor, so you need the Workbench-Word interface.

Despite my system being a fast one (Vista 64-bit, 5 GB SDRAM, CPU Intel Core2Duo E6600), the performance of the combo Word 2007+Workbench 2007 is only acceptable (barely) if the Word file is not too big (less than 30 pages, few pics). That's why I keep Office 2003 in my system.

You'll really have to find a copy of Office 2003... It is not being sold by MS dealers anymore, but I'm sure you can get an old Student Edition (which allows 3 licenses) somewhere, eBay, for instance. Or a "trial forever" one...

Edric

[Edited at 2008-01-10 21:00]
Collapse

David Van der Vloet
David Van der Vloet  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2006)
English to Flemish
+ ...
Thanks Jan 10, 2008

Thanks, I know, but it's not so easy to find. The problem with e-bay is that you're never too sure about the validity of the licence. I used to have an OEM version on my old pc, but it really sucks having to work on it while I have another system running just like yours (4GB+1GB (Intel) RAM, Vista ultima 64x, Core2Duo T7700).

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-01-10 15:01]

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I found several Office 2003 Teacher-Student unopened boxes on eBay... Jan 10, 2008

Hi David

If you buy a boxed Teacher-Student edition you should have no problem activating it. It comes with an original and exclusive, media-related, serial number, and that edition allows for 3 licenses, AND Microsoft is not refusing to validate it.

I found many boxed Office 2003 Student-Teacher at eBay, some even unopened (so they say).

I have installed and reinstalled my Office 2003 several times, activating it without any complaints from MS, because I w
... See more
Hi David

If you buy a boxed Teacher-Student edition you should have no problem activating it. It comes with an original and exclusive, media-related, serial number, and that edition allows for 3 licenses, AND Microsoft is not refusing to validate it.

I found many boxed Office 2003 Student-Teacher at eBay, some even unopened (so they say).

I have installed and reinstalled my Office 2003 several times, activating it without any complaints from MS, because I was Beta-testing Vista. At least 10 times last year... MS NEVER refused to validate and activate it.

Copy and paste the following link in your browser:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C12&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=microsoft%20office%202003%20student%20edition&sacat=18793&catref=C6&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP/Postal&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

Almost 20 boxed Office 2003 Student-Teacher Edition...

Edric

[Edited at 2008-01-10 21:18]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados2007 w/Word2007 still sluggish after Vista SP1 AND Office 2007 SP1

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »