Mai Tran  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
Member (2007)
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Dec 14, 2007

Hello All ,

Normally to start a translation project, I go to Trados Workbench/ Open or create a Translation Memory. Then go to Options/ Analyze, then Option/ Translate (for the pre-translation). At this point (Option/ Translate), I got an error message:
"(8005) : Error, Unknown tag while converting to Word Document". And it failed to pretranslate.
I went to the log File, choose another Log file name, but it did not work. I still get the error message. I have been using it and it was working fine until today. What did I do wrong ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mai

Direct link Reply with quote

Jim Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hope that my anwers help Dec 15, 2007

I was once a Senior Translator of SDL International in the past 5 years, as my understand to SDL Trados, I can give you some advise. You can submit your queries to SDL Support team at support.sdl.com, but before submitting request to Technical Support, try this simple trick.

1. Open source DOC file in Word, save it as RTF file, close.
2. Open RTF file in Word, save it as new DOC file, close.
3. Open new DOC file in TagEditor and see if it opens without errors.

Hope that my answers help.

Jim Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hope that my anwers help Dec 15, 2007

I was once a Senior Translator of SDL International in the past 5 years, as my understand to SDL Trados, I can give you some advise. You can submit your queries to SDL Support team at support.sdl.com, but before submitting request to Technical Support, try this simple trick.

1. Open source DOC file in Word, save it as RTF file, close.
2. Open RTF file in Word, save it as new DOC file, close.
3. Open new DOC file in TagEditor and see if it opens without errors.

Hope that my answers help.

Jim

Mai Tran  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
Member (2007)
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! It works! Dec 15, 2007

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for your tip. I did exactly as you advise, and ...IT WORKS !!! It's wonderful (i don't know how, but it works nd thta's great). Now I can catch up on my work.

I did submit my request to SDL support before posting on ProZ.com, but I haven't heard from them (yet?), and I am desperate. Actually, SDL ignored a couple of my requests earlier, so I am not sure whether they'll ever get back to me on this one, although I paid for the service.

Thanks again, Jim.
Happy Holiday Season !

Mai

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench doesn't pre-translate

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs