Non-translatable segments - how to?
Thread poster: Rafał Kwiatkowski

Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
German to Polish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2007

Hi there,

i have a doc file with dual translations and two collumns translation - it's shuffled.

1. I'd like to drink some water / Chcialbym napic sie wody

Whole text block.

Translated Header

Translated text.

3. source left collumn and right target collumn (NOT table)

I'd like to "block"/"freeze" the source text (the file needs to be translated in Word OR TagEditor) because the Translation Memory won't find correct match when shole segment will be like in 1. example. I't would be great if the text "I'd like to drink some water / " could be skipped abd only "Chcialbym napic sie wody" could be oppened. I've tried with the styles and formating but the text is very rich formated (ex. one bold, two italics and justified + underline - in one sentence) and i can not apply one unified style to whole sentence because of the formatings. Besides it didn't worked correctly.

The perfect way to solve my problem is to find some way to f.e. tell Trados that the whole document is NOT to translation and i could add some keywords like text before and after the sentences which needs to become translated. But i don't know if Trados can read such external tags.

I need an advice.

Kindest Regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try hidding text instead of formatting it Dec 15, 2007

If you hide text in Word the formatting will remain completly the same, but the effect in Tageditor will be, that the hidden text will not be presented for translation anymore, but just treated as external Tag.
After the translation simply select the whole document and remove the hidden text check mark. No formatting changes occur - I'm using this procedure for all such purposes.
If you are able to find a regular expression for what shall not be translated (ie the text between paragraph mark and a quotation mark as example) you can even use Word search and replace function to do that for you.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-translatable segments - how to?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs