Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2007

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. I have a tmx file (some 6000 TU's) that I'm trying to import into Trados Workbench 6.5 for a friend.

It seems that all the TU's are "read" but not added (returned as "invalid"). The particular language combination I am dealing with here is EN-US (i.e. US English)/ES-ES (i.e. Spanish - Spain). I opened the tmx file in Notepad to check the languages and they do match

tuv xml:lang="es-ES"
and
tuv xml:lang="en-US"

I have to confess I am completely at a loss. Any ideas what might be going on?

Best,
Christian

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 20:58
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
try simply ES and EN Dec 16, 2007

... instead of es-ES and en-US. Its worth a try.

It may be the language pair of your TM ... Have you tried to import into a fresh new empty TM?

And I think that it makes a difference, which way the pairs (ES - EN or EN - ES).

HiH - Vito

[Urejeno ob 2007-12-16 10:41]

Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That didn't work Dec 17, 2007

Hello Vito,

New TM
Thanks so much but that didn't help. I should probably have mentioned this, but I did try to import into a new TM.

Regional Sub-Classifications
I usually don't work with Spanish (or its various regional sub-classifications), so your idea with respect to making it non-regional might be a good one. Unfortunately Trados doesn't give me the option of choosing "general English." Also, I don't seem to be able to to create a general non-regional language TMX file (short of performing a find/replace manually).

Language Direction
The language direction shouldn't make any difference - and I did try it. Alas, to no avail.

But thanks for the effort!

Best,
Christian

Radek Ptak
Local time: 19:58
English to Polish
Compare them Dec 17, 2007

Christian, create a new TM in Workbench, enter one segment manually, export it to the TMX format and then you can easy compare "proper" TMX segment with the one you want to import... maybe you will spot some important differences.

Radek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TWB 6.5 Fails to Import TMX File

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs