Mobile menu

Next version of Trados?
Thread poster: Gillian Searl

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:56
Member (2004)
German to English
Dec 20, 2007

Hi
Does anyone know when we can expect the next version of Trados, hopefully one that is fully compatible with Vista and Office 2007.
Thanks
Gillian


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:56
English to Swedish
+ ...
Rumours, rumours... Dec 21, 2007

Gillian Searl wrote:

...hopefully one that is fully compatible with Vista and Office 2007.


... and InDesign CS3, please!

Well, this is the million dollar question. Noone outside SDL will be able to tell for sure, and since it's corporate intelligence, they usually never give any hints.

But there are signals in the release cycles of software. We just had the SP released a few months ago, so my guess is that we won't see anything until March/April the earliest. When a company dumps the price of the old version, you can start holding your breath!

You just have to go with the "grapevine"....

/Jan


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 21:56
English to German
+ ...
InDesign CS 3 is not a problem.... Dec 21, 2007

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Gillian Searl wrote:

...hopefully one that is fully compatible with Vista and Office 2007.


... and InDesign CS3, please!

Well, this is the million dollar question. Noone outside SDL will be able to tell for sure, and since it's corporate intelligence, they usually never give any hints.

But there are signals in the release cycles of software. We just had the SP released a few months ago, so my guess is that we won't see anything until March/April the earliest. When a company dumps the price of the old version, you can start holding your breath!

You just have to go with the "grapevine"....

/Jan
and you do not need the lastest Trados to do it. For further information contact me on my personal mail. Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:56
English to Swedish
+ ...
Depends on functions used Jan 2, 2008

Brandis wrote:

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Gillian Searl wrote:

...hopefully one that is fully compatible with Vista and Office 2007.


... and InDesign CS3, please!

you do not need the lastest Trados to do it.
Brandis


Hi Brandis and all,

I know that I can export as INX from CS3, and 95 times out of 100, this file can be opened and translated in TE.
BUT: this is not officially supported by Trados! If I run into problems, and send this file to the SDL Support, they simply wash their hands and say "this file was exported from CS3, we won't help you".

And I know I can downsave the INX into CS2 and re-export again, but this means that some new features will be dropped (if the designer of the original file happened to use any of those new features in CS3).

Or did you have another solution to keep the integrity of the INX file?

Best,

Jan


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 21:56
English to German
+ ...
get it now.. Jan 3, 2008

Halo Jan,

Upon reexport to cs3 there will be some final layout adjustments to be taken care of manually using the oringal source cs3 document. Lately I had process a document along these lines in quark 7.3, saved as quark 6.0, extracted the content, translated and saved in quark 6.0 and loaded in quark 7.3, the final adjustment of a 2 GB file in quark 7.3 (actually it was only 1/10 of that size in quark 6.0) took over 2 days at and we charged hourly rate here. Regards, Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Next version of Trados?

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs