https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/92482-tag_handling_in_tageditor.html

Tag handling in TagEditor
Thread poster: Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Italy
Local time: 04:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 20, 2007

Hello,
I don't have much experience with TagEditor so I thought I'd better get some advice before corrupting a translated file. I was wondering what the [angular bracket]\h[angular bracket] tag is and how to handle it. I don't understand what it is because I often find it in the middle of a word (see example below) and it doesn't seem to alter the text in any way (I've checked a PDF version of the file I'm working on).
Can anyone shed some light on this?...
See more
Hello,
I don't have much experience with TagEditor so I thought I'd better get some advice before corrupting a translated file. I was wondering what the [angular bracket]\h[angular bracket] tag is and how to handle it. I don't understand what it is because I often find it in the middle of a word (see example below) and it doesn't seem to alter the text in any way (I've checked a PDF version of the file I'm working on).
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks,
Ale.

Do not use in the presence of flam [angular bracket]\h[angular bracket]ma[angular bracket]\h[angular bracket]ble or combustible materials; fire or ex[angular bracket]\h[angular bracket]plo[angular bracket]\h[angular bracket]sion may result.

[Edited at 2007-12-20 21:49]

[Edited at 2007-12-20 21:50]
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 04:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
soft hyphen Dec 21, 2007

It's a soft hyphen, inserted at split points within a word.
You might translate "ex-plo-sion" as "es-plo-sione". If it doesn't fit in a (justified) line, the word will wrap --or be split-- at any of these points.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag handling in TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »