Thread poster: Huw Watkins

Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:49
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 24, 2007

I'm running SDL Trados 2006 on Windows XP home. I also use Office XP (2002) too if that's relevant.

I can't get the spellchecker to work in TagEditor - the options are simply greyed out. I'm not an expert on TagEditor, so I assume I'm missing something really simple. I've read a few forum posts which seem to suggest that TagEditor uses the Word spellchecker and that I must have word open. I've tried that and no luck. It is also suggested that I have instruct TagEditor that I am using word spellchecker - how do I do that? I have vague memories of doing something similar at some point, but have since done a registry clean up plus a load of other stuff and although spellchecker did work with this version once upon a time, it doesn't now. Any ideas?

One other thing that may be relevant - I get a visual basic runtime error each time I open Word. I thought that that was related to multiterm, but can't be sure. Everything in the SDL package works fine, as does multiterm 7, except the spell checker in tagEditor. I've tried a repair installation and still no luck.

Direct link Reply with quote

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Once last thing Dec 24, 2007

I'm also checking this issue out on tagEditor Help so hopefully I'll be able to resolve this myself.

It mentions: "WinterTree Spelling Checker Properties dialog box. To access this dialog box, click Options in the Check Spelling dialog box."

I don't have the Check Spelling Tab AT ALL in options. That is pretty weird as I am certain i used to have that and was able to set an option to check the spelling before closing a segment automatically.

I can't seem to access the configure Microsft Word spell checker help page as suggested in TaEditor help - maybe internet problems.

Any suggestions?

Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
Have you tried... Dec 24, 2007

Hi Huw Watkins,

I am also not an expert, but have you tried...

TagEditor > Tools > Plug-ins
check the check box Spelling Checkers and select any one of the selection option under this.
Click on OK

And now see whether 'Spell Checking' option is activated or not under Tools menu.

Are you able to see the MultiTerm Toolbar in MS-Word file?

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got it solved! Dec 24, 2007

Thought I'd follow up on this for any other nincompoops like myself

I didn't have the plugin activated/installed... This is done in tools>plugins

I new it must be something simple!

Thanks for reading.

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Mana Dec 26, 2007

I've just noticed your post now.

Yes, I did exactly what you said - I found it through tips in the TagEditor Help.

Yes I also see the multiterm tool bar in word, I use multiterm all the time for my translations.

That runtime error is still a mystery to me. Everything works fine, although I do also use a couple of dictionaries with word plugins so it could be something to do with them...

Thanks for your input.

Huw

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellchecker in TagEditor SDL Trados 2006

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs