How to make Trados 6.5 dongle (parallel port) with a laptop having only usb ports and no paralel one
Thread poster: R. Chakravarti
R. Chakravarti
Local time: 14:32
Danish to English
+ ...
Dec 24, 2007

I have been working with Trados 6.5 for the last 5 years in my desktop and the dongle is attached to the parallel port. Now I intend to buy a laptop and all the latest models in the market are without parallel port for the dongle. Someone suggested that using a converter/adapter for parallel port to usb port will solve the problem. But I am not too sure about this solution.

Any suggestion or help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
R. Chakravarti

Direct link Reply with quote

Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 05:02
Norwegian to English
USB adapter won't work, anyway Dec 24, 2007

R. Chakravarti wrote:

Someone suggested that using a converter/adapter for parallel port to usb port will solve the problem. But I am not too sure about this solution.

Since I've just been through all this myself, I can at least pass on what I have found out, though whether it will help you, I daren't say!

Unfortunately, you are quite right - a simple USB to Parallel adapter won't work, as these are only intended to be used with printers. They do not function in EPP mode, which allows two-way communication beteen the computer and a peripheral.

Somewhere in the Proz archives I found a suggestion that a PCMCIA to Parallel adapter was the way to go, and I purchased one of these, see http://www.provantage.com/quatech-spp-100~7QTCK00U.htm. As you will see, this is claimed by the manufacturer to provide a fully functioing parallel port, with EPP mode. Unfortunately this is not true, and I could never get Trados to recognise the dongle when connected using this adapter. Not only that, but this card is a PCMCIA card, and this type of card seems to have become obsolete. Dell, for example, now fits PCI express card slots to its laptops, so while this card will fit my three-year-old Inspiron 600M, it will not physically fit the slot in a new Inspiron 1501. So that was $115 down the drain, as the supplier of this card would not allow me to return it, because I had opened the package!

The only hope you have is to find somebody who used to run Trados using a USB dongle and who no longer needs the dongle, having upgraded to one of the newer, non-dongle versions. After a lot of stress and wasted time and money, I was fortunate enough to find somebody who was willing to give away such a dongle. If you inquire on e-mail groups or suchlike, you may be as lucky as I was. Certainly there will be no shortage of people who will be more than willing to let you have one if you pay them a hundred dollars or so (for something which is of absolutely no value to them)!

Failing that, you porbably have no choice but to upgrade Trados, which means a forking out a lot of money for something which really doesn't do any more than Trados 6.5 does, but which does it in a more complicated and less user-friendly way!

Hope you find a solution in the end!

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 11:02
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
A USB dongle, Dec 24, 2007

Well, I do have a USB dongle I do not use anymore.

Antonin

R. Chakravarti
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for info on dongle problem Dec 25, 2007

Hi Mr. Barrow

Thank you very much for the info on the problem with dongle to be used with usb adaptor.
That means I cannot go for contemporary laptops with usb ports only.

Another possible solution is to go for used laptops with parallel port. At least now I know what to do.

Thanks a lot
R. Chakravarti

R. Chakravarti
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
usb adapter for dongle Dec 25, 2007

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Well, I do have a USB dongle I do not use anymore.

Antonin

Hi Antonin

Thanks for the info. I am curious to know how you got it , because
in my case I was supplied with the one to be attached to the parallel port when I purchased Trados 6.5.

I don't know whether the later versions provide the usb dongles.
Any way, would you like to sell the one you have and if so how do we go about it, as I am living in Bangalore, India.

Would like to hear from you and many thanks indeed,

R. Chakravarti

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Please write directly to my e-mail address Dec 25, 2007

Others are hardly interested in that kind of discussion.

info@otahal.cz

Antonin

P.S. I was sold the USB dongle when I bought Trados 6.0 in June 2003

Geoffrey Barrow
Norwegian to English
They don't always tell you what you need to know! Dec 25, 2007

R. Chakravarti wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am curious to know how you got it , because
in my case I was supplied with the one to be attached to the parallel port when I purchased Trados 6.5.

R. Chakravarti

I wasn't aware either until recently that USB dongles were available as early as version 5.5. Of course, I cannot prove that Trados didn't know back then that laptops would in future no longer be fitted with parallel ports, but everybody knows that businesses are run these days for one reason alone, and that reason is not to provide a product or a service which the consumer wants, or even needs. Anybody who has watched the practices of Trados and SDL should be able to see that there is no reason to believe that these companies are any different. My point is that it wouldn't have been in Trados's interests to give advice to users which would enable them to avoid spending money on newer versions which they really didn't need.

I'm pleased that you appear to have found somebody who can supply you with the item you need to be able to carry on doing your job. No doubt you will also hear (as I did) from the scaremongerers who claim that clients aren't interested in giving work to any freelancer who does not use SDL Trados 2007. Most of these people are of course representatives of agencies who are in SDL's pocket. After all, it is the agencies buying multi-user licences who are SDL's source of income, not the lowly freelancer who is merely trying to make a living.

What a pity so few people in this world are capable of seeing how thay are being exploited by corporate interests!

R. Chakravarti
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dongle/parallel port problem Dec 26, 2007

Hi Mr. Barrow

I too was surprised to know that a USB dongle was available for the versions of Trados, such as 6.0.
But at least the company should provide the old version users with an economic solution to the dongle problems instead of promoting their new version which are quite expensive.

Now I am scouting the market for older models of laptops with parallel port and I hope I will be lucky.

Thanks
R. Chakravarti

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you contacted SDL? Dec 26, 2007

R. Chakravarti wrote:

I have been working with Trados 6.5 for the last 5 years in my desktop and the dongle is attached to the parallel port. Now I intend to buy a laptop and all the latest models in the market are without parallel port for the dongle. Someone suggested that using a converter/adapter for parallel port to usb port will solve the problem. But I am not too sure about this solution.

Any suggestion or help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
R. Chakravarti

I asked once (about 5 years ago) and TRADOS then offered to replace parallel port dongles with USB dongles for a small fee (I think it was 10 US$ plus shipping).

The drawback was that you had to send them the parallel port dongle to them and then they would send you the USB one. That meant that you had to spend some time without any TRADOS dongle...

Maybe they can provide better solutions now, so it might be worth checking with them.

Daniel

R. Chakravarti
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dongle problem Dec 27, 2007

Hi Mr. Daniel

Thank you very much for the helpful suggestion. But you see, as you rightly mentioned I have to send the dongle to get the usb dongle and I will have to wait for it to come. Further, the dongle has to be physically sent to SDL which is far away from India and charges can be quite expensive.

I am trying to get an older model of laptop with parallel port and if I succeed that should solve the problem.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion

With regards
R. Chakravarti

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Some solutions Dec 27, 2007

Hi Chakravarti and all,

Some solutions that came to my mind:

1. If you're shopping for a new laptop, there are still some that do come with a native parallel port. I used a Swedish search engine ( http://www.prisjakt.se/kategori.php?k=353#rparams=k=s13223987 ) and came up with these suggestions:

Acer Aspire 9503EWSMi - 1,5GHz 1GB 100GB DVD±RW 17"
Lenovo ThinkPad T43 1871 - 1,86GHz 512MB 40GB DVD/CD-RW 14"
LG R405-A.CPSTV
LG W1-D2RLV
Sony Vaio VGN-BX197XP
Other suggestions on Ebay:
http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&gbr=1&sacur=0&sorefinesearch=1&from=R10&saobfmts=exsif&_trksid=m37&fcid=192&saaff=afdefault&ftrv=1&ftrt=1&fcl=3&frpp=200&saslop=1&fss=0&satitle=epp&sacat=51148&catref=C6&fts=2&a14=-24&a26444=-24&a12=-24&a25710=-24&a26446=-24&a10244=-24&alist=a14,a26092,a26444,a12,a25710,a26446,a10244&pfmode=1&reqtype=1&gcs=1505&pfid=1811&pf_query=epp&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sadis=200&fpos=&sabfmts=1&sabdlo=&sabdhi=&saprclo=&saprchi=&salic=-15&fhlc=1&fsop=34&fsoo=2&fgtp=

2. Buy another Lenovo and equip it with a expansion bay adapter:
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/se/products.nsf/$wwwPartnumLookup/_40Y8121?open&OpenDocument&epi=web_express
(No guarantees that it would work, but it's probably a safer bet than a PCMCIA card.)

3. Get a docking station/port replicator with full EPP port, preferably the same brand as your laptop-to-be:
http://computers.search-desc.ebay.com/docking-station-epp_Docking-Stations-for-Laptops_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfcidZ192QQfclZ3QQfromZR10QQfrppZ200QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ34QQfssZ0QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQftsZ2QQgbrZ1QQsaaffZafdefaultQQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ31523QQsacurZ0QQsalicZQ2d15QQsaobfmtsZexsifQQsaslopZ1QQsorefinesearchZ1
(Again, no guarantees that it would work, but worth a try.)

4. Get an Expresscard-to-EPP adapter:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C12&fcid=192&gbr=1&saaff=afdefault&ftrv=1&sacur=0&sorefinesearch=1&ftrt=1&fcl=3&frpp=200&from=R10&saslop=1&saobfmts=exsif&fss=0&_trksid=m37&satitle=express*+parallel&sacat=3710%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=&sabfmts=1&sabdlo=&sabdhi=&saprclo=&saprchi=&salic=-15&fhlc=1&fsop=34%26fsoo%3D2
(Again, no guarantees that it would work, but other users here on Proz indicate that it might work if you make sure to update your Sentinel drivers!):
http://www.proz.com/post/415266#415266

5. As you pointed out yourself, Trados runs a replacement program for these dongles. Users in Germany and Belgium have reported very favourable low fees when trading it in for a soft-license:
http://www.proz.com/post/249744#249744
If necessary, you might try asking a fellow Prozian in mainland Europe to act as an intermediary, if SDL in your country won't offer the same conditions.

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-12-28 12:42]

R. Chakravarti
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dongle/parallel port problem Dec 28, 2007

Thanks for your great effort and time in finding various options/solutions to the referred problem.
In the meantime I had located a laptop (barely used one) with the parallel port and for the time being this serves the purpose.

However I intend to use some of the options you have listed in the near future.

Happy New Year and kind regards'

R. Chakravarti

Lisa Mercier
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Is there someone in Canada who has a USB Trados 6.5 Dongle for sale? Jan 15, 2008

Good afternoon!

Well, after getting a laptop for XMAS and having my computer tech install Trados 6.5 back on the computer... I now ran into this problem, yikes!

So... is there someone in Canada or US who has a USB Trados Dongle and who's not using it anymore?

Please help!!!

Lisa Mercier

Anna Ryden  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Swedish
+ ...
Same problem! Mar 31, 2008

I have just contacted SDL-TRADOS asking them to send me a USB Dongle. Unfortunately I had no idea the parallell port adapter couldn't be used, well, now I know.

The good news is that the next two weeks I'll be translating with another software, hope I solve this problem until then.

edit
-----------------------------
This is the answer I received today:

Thank you for your recent query regarding a USB Dongle. Unfortunately SDL Trados has stopped supporting dongles for a couple of years now and you will have to upgrade to receive a software license key. Kindly also be advised that as from the 1st April 2008, it will not be possible anymore to upgrade from Trados 6.5 or earlier. Those with these versions will have to purchase the full priced software.

------------------------------------

[Edited at 2008-04-01 11:07]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make Trados 6.5 dongle (parallel port) with a laptop having only usb ports and no paralel one

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums