Mobile menu

Multiterm 2007 Convert is not converting!
Thread poster: Arlete Moraes

Arlete Moraes  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:27
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 30, 2007

Hi All,

I am relatively new to Trados and have been trying to convert a glossary in Excel format with Multiterm 2007 Convert. As far as I know, my glossary meets the criteria for conversion:
a) All data are located on the first sheet in the book
b) The first row in the file contains the header of each column (Source & Target languages) - I have English (source) and Portuguese (target)
c) There are no empty columns between the columns that contain data

I followed the steps on Multiterm, ie. selected the excel file to be converted (Input file), then the other fields were automatically populated (output file, termbase definition file, log file).

When I click on Next, I get the following error message:

"The conversion option could not be initialiased properly. Excel can not be started".

Can anyone help me??

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lectorcito  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
English to Spanish
I had the same problem Dec 31, 2007

I had exactly the same problem, using Excell 2000. I downloaded a demo version of Excell 2007 and it worked perfectly. I decided to buy it from here (it's very cheap if you are a student): (this is the UK link: )

I know that's not really a solution, as Excell 2000 is supposed to be compatible, but at least it's an idea.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:27
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Spreadsheet format Dec 31, 2007

I think I had this problem recently, using Convert with Excel 2000.

IIRC, the official answer, buried somewhere in the Trados Knowledge base, is that for Excel 2000 you must select the "Spreadsheet or database exchange format" in MT Convert, not Excel, and then follow the instructions.

A few days ago, I successfully converted an Excel spreadsheet in this way. I found a Support article somewhere on
but cannot find it again.

Vito Smolej
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Using MultiTerm Convert Dec 31, 2007

I made a short Movie on the subject, which you can have a look at

[Urejeno ob 2007-12-31 21:12]

Arlete Moraes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Jan 2, 2008

In fact I do have Excel 2000 and now I believe that might be the problem, after reading your comments. I had already tried Peter's suggestion, but I didn't work properly either - My glossary only showed the source column... I will probably upgrade my Office to 2007 version, thanks for the tip, Lectorcito.
And, finally, Vito, I found your movie very helpful.

Thank you all for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 2007 Convert is not converting!

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs