Elizabeth Downham  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:56
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Dec 31, 2007

Hi
I recently installed Trados 2007 Freelance SP1, complete with SDLX, running under Win XP SP2 and Office 2007 (SP1?).
My issue is that when I try to open a translation memory of any sort, including one I literally just created myself, I get an error message saying that "The translation memory could not be opened. Ensure that it is a valid SDLX translation memory and that it has the correct access rights (read/write)".

I have searched on-line and not found anything related to this error (at the Trados website or elsewhere).
I have changed permissions on the folders in which my translation memories are stored so that "everyone" has full control.
Still its not working ...

The issue may be that I am new to SDLX and I have forgot to set something up ... but when I run the tutorials, I get the same issues!!

Please can one of you knowledgeable sorts out there let me know of anything I can try.

A complete re-install is my only other thoughts on the matter, but I am not sure what happens with the licensing and activation codes I already have (i.e. can I re-enter the one I already have or must I first de-activate it and then re-activate it, even if I am installing it on the same machine?).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help ...

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
English to German
Please add some details Dec 31, 2007

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to do.
If you say you can't open a TM that you "just created" yourself, I wonder how you did create it and in what application you try opening it. Could you provide some more details? And are you sure that you try to open an SDLX TM in SDL Edit?

Regards,
Stefan

Portugal
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details about error opening translation memory in SDL Edit Dec 31, 2007

Hello Stefan,

My aim is to translate an ITD file sent to me by a client and use the provided memory (in MDB format). When I open the document in SDL edit and try to open the translation memory, I get the error message mentioned above.

To see if there was a problem with the memory provided, I then tried creating a test memory, which I managed to do. However, once I closed this memory and tried to open it again, I got the same error message as before.

As I am new to SDLX there may be something quite simple that I am doing wrong, but I would be grateful if you could help me out!

Many thanks
Elizabeth

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
English to German
Hm... Dec 31, 2007

Elizabeth Downham wrote:

My aim is to translate an ITD file sent to me by a client and use the provided memory (in MDB format). When I open the document in SDL edit and try to open the translation memory, I get the error message mentioned above.

So I understand this is the first time you ever tried opening an SDLX TM and you never managed to open one before, right?
The only thing I could think of is that for some reason the database technology to be used has been set to somewhat different than the SDLX default. I'm not sure whether this is at all possible in the Freelance version, but it is in Professional.

To check this, please do as follows:
- Open the Maintain module of SDLX (click the Maintain button in the SDLX Switchboard)
- In Maintain, choose Tools>Options from the menu
- Click the Advanced tab and click the Object Management button
- Make sure that "SDLX - Microsoft Access" is shown in the Default Object field
- If this field says something else, select "SDLX - Microsoft Access" from the Available Objects list and click the Set Default button, and click OK

If the Default Object was correct in the first place, then maybe one or more required components failed to install properly. You might want to try re-installing the entire suite.

Your TMs are stored locally on the same machine where SDLX resides, right?

Finally, if all of the above fails, I can recommend posting your issue to the dedicated SDLX group to be found at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sdlx/
Members there are real SDLX experts and this list is also being monitored by some of the SDLX support staff.

Best regards and good luck,
Stefan

[Edited at 2007-12-31 18:59]

Portugal
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no joy Jan 2, 2008

Thanks for the answer and suggestions - I have checked the settings you suggested and even re-installed the whole trados / SDLX suite, but still no joy.
I am now attempting a post on the Yahoo forum you suggested ... hopefully one of the SDLX support guys is on there and has an answer??

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX translation memories and authorisation issues

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs