Tags in the middle of the sentence
Thread poster: Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Local time: 15:43
English to German
Dec 31, 2007

Dear colleagues

I am working with SDL Trados 2006 on my client’s portal (I don’t have Trados myself). I am translating a TTX file in Tag Editor from English to German. What do I do when there are tags in the middle of the English sentence? When there is a tag at both the beginning and end of a sentence I just copy the source with the tags and write my translation in between. But when there is a tag in the middle of the sentence I am not sure what to do as the German sentence wi
... See more
Dear colleagues

I am working with SDL Trados 2006 on my client’s portal (I don’t have Trados myself). I am translating a TTX file in Tag Editor from English to German. What do I do when there are tags in the middle of the English sentence? When there is a tag at both the beginning and end of a sentence I just copy the source with the tags and write my translation in between. But when there is a tag in the middle of the sentence I am not sure what to do as the German sentence will be different.

When I want to go to the next segment without having copied the source tags it says “at least one tag is missing”. Does it matter at all or can I ignore this and just translate without copying the source? My client is out of office unfortunately, so I can’t ask. Thank you for any tips.
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:43
English to Danish
+ ...
Depends on the type of tag Dec 31, 2007

What you should do depends on the type of tag.
Some tags can be deleted, but others need to stay.
You can expand tag to see what type it is by clicking the diamond-shaped icons on the toolbar.

Jørgen

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
cf tags Dec 31, 2007

Hi Jørgen,

Thank you for your answer. They are "cf" tags and stand at the end of a line in the original text, when the sentence is not finished yet. The original text I have is in columns. It is a PDF and was (or will be) processed using InDesign. So the cf tags are in the middle of a sentence. The German sentence will be different, so I can’t just place the words in the target text in the same order.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
alt+insert Dec 31, 2007

It is always a better choice to preserve all tags. So I recommend you use alt+insert to copy the source texts together with all the tags to the input box first and then replace the texts.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Keep them, unless.... Dec 31, 2007

If you're going to be working with tags, you need to familiarize yourself with them a bit.
The manual for Trados TagEditor contains a section 'About Tags', I recommend you read it.
In Dutch, like in German, the sentence sometimes has a very different syntax and order of words than in English. Try to keep the tags to the words as much as possible.
For example, if your source text says:
(tag) Seven (tag) pyramids were built during the reign of this Pharaoh.
translat
... See more
If you're going to be working with tags, you need to familiarize yourself with them a bit.
The manual for Trados TagEditor contains a section 'About Tags', I recommend you read it.
In Dutch, like in German, the sentence sometimes has a very different syntax and order of words than in English. Try to keep the tags to the words as much as possible.
For example, if your source text says:
(tag) Seven (tag) pyramids were built during the reign of this Pharaoh.
translate:
In der Zeit dass dieser Pharaoh König war, hat man (tag)sieben (tag) Pyramiden gebaut.
If the tags are placed to indicate a linebreak, try and keep them in a position in the sentence that most closely resembles the original division of the sentence.

Sometimes you have to be creative, but there really are very few exceptions to the rule: preserve all the tags!
Two exceptions I've encountered so far: sometimes the sign '&' is represented by tags (amp, for ampersand) and sometimes an apostrophe is represented by tags as well. If you recognise these, there's no reason why you should keep those tags, specifically since in German you're likely not to use as many apostrophes as in English.

Don't ignore the messages about missing tags. Always check twice if you haven't missed anything.

Good luck, and happy New Year!
Collapse

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 31, 2007

Hi Dallas and Margreet, thank you for your postings. Margreet, I will do it the way you suggested, thank you very much for that!

Happy New Year to you too! Hope you have a nice party this evening.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Move redundant tags to the end of the segment Jan 1, 2008

The customer should remove those line-breaks prior to submission to the translator. They can be very annoying. The linebreaks of the translated text need to be defined by the dtp-program after translation, translators have no clue where the linebreak will take place. So do not bother to play around with them.
SDLX does not protest when you remove these tags, but TE does.
Its a bug of TE I think, because the programmers should have taken this into account.
Cheers
Heinrich

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
line breaks Jan 1, 2008

Thanks Heinrich. Indeed, I don’t know where the line break will be and that’s why I don’t know what to do with the tags. It seems Margreets and your method both worked in the past so I guess it does not matter where the tags are exactly as long as you copy the source and the tags are not missing.

Annika Hedqvist
Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
I have the same problem Feb 25, 2008

I have the exact same problem. It's originally a pdf-file and it has cf-tags in the middle of a sentence.

How am I supposed to know what tags are important and what are not? I'm no computer geek...

Should I move the tags even though TagEditor objects to it with this "at least one tag is missing" message?

And where do I find this manual for TagEditor so I can read about tags?

If there are line-break tags and tags that insert apostrophes etc. and
... See more
I have the exact same problem. It's originally a pdf-file and it has cf-tags in the middle of a sentence.

How am I supposed to know what tags are important and what are not? I'm no computer geek...

Should I move the tags even though TagEditor objects to it with this "at least one tag is missing" message?

And where do I find this manual for TagEditor so I can read about tags?

If there are line-break tags and tags that insert apostrophes etc. and I just leave them in the text, that will make the translation look funny, right? But I also have the pdf source file and sometimes there's tags appearing in TagEditor but they don't seem to do anything in the pdf. The text looks plain. No bold letters, no apostrophes, nothing. Can I then just ignore the tags?

Also: Is there a way for me to clean this file or change its format or something so that I can open it as a .doc or .pdf file without the tags and see what my translation will look like on paper? I mean, so that I can see if the tags did anything funny to my text?

[Edited at 2008-02-25 22:11]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags in the middle of the sentence

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »