https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/93049-how_to_convert_ms_word_glossary_into_multiterm_termbase.html

How to convert MS-Word Glossary into MultiTerm Termbase?
Thread poster: Sumana U
Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
Jan 1, 2008

Hi,

Can MS-Word (.doc) Glossary be converted into MultiTerm Termbase?

I have one large Glossary in MS-Word.

Regards

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use Excel Jan 1, 2008

I would convert the Word DOC into an Excel spreadsheet (because the Excel route is a tried and tested method, even though not very intuitive).

You may need to edit the Word DOC so that the source and target words/phrases are separated by a TAB character and end line ends with a Paragraph Mark.

Note that in MultiTerm Convert, some combinations of MultiTerm and older versions of Excel cause errors, so you have to load a text file (saved in Word as TXT) using "Spreadsheet
... See more
I would convert the Word DOC into an Excel spreadsheet (because the Excel route is a tried and tested method, even though not very intuitive).

You may need to edit the Word DOC so that the source and target words/phrases are separated by a TAB character and end line ends with a Paragraph Mark.

Note that in MultiTerm Convert, some combinations of MultiTerm and older versions of Excel cause errors, so you have to load a text file (saved in Word as TXT) using "Spreadsheet or database exchange format".
Collapse

Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have one large glossary in .doc file type Jan 2, 2008

The glossary is in the form of a table and I want to convert it, so that it can be used in MultiTerm.

Thank you inadvance for any useful suggestion(s)

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
Swedish to English
+ ...
Excel again Jan 2, 2008

I would still go down the Excel route. You can highlight the Word table, copy it and paste it directly into an Excel spreadsheet, starting at row 2. Then all you need to do is to enter the source language name in cell A1 and the target language name in B1, save the file, and start up MultiTerm Convert.

MultiTerm Convert is a powerful but far from user-friendly tool, so I recommend searching the ProZ forums for How-To explanations.

You can convert Word tables direct
... See more
I would still go down the Excel route. You can highlight the Word table, copy it and paste it directly into an Excel spreadsheet, starting at row 2. Then all you need to do is to enter the source language name in cell A1 and the target language name in B1, save the file, and start up MultiTerm Convert.

MultiTerm Convert is a powerful but far from user-friendly tool, so I recommend searching the ProZ forums for How-To explanations.

You can convert Word tables directly. Instructions are available somewhere in the SDL Trados Knowledge Base.
Collapse

Nina Rose (X)
Nina Rose (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:28
English to Norwegian
+ ...
PDF on how to convert Excel into MultiTerm Jan 10, 2008

It's chapter 12

http://trados-training.doku-trans.de/SDL%20Trados%20Training%20EN.pdf

I have just tried it myself, and it was easy to follow.
Just read the instructions carefully. Because I didn't find the setup windows (the text's) very intuitive...

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert MS-Word Glossary into MultiTerm Termbase?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »