Mobile menu

Trados and dictionaries: How do I add one?
Thread poster: Elisa Côté
Elisa Côté
English to French
+ ...
Jan 2, 2008

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, I never used Trados and Multiterm a lot for my past projects but my resolution for this year is to get to know more this software.

I was wondering if there is a way to add dictionnaries in Trados or Multi term ? I got a cd with my Collins english dictionnary and I though maybe there is a way to add those terms to those softwares...

What do you think ?

thank you for your help!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-01-02 20:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Local time: 00:08
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How to add a dictionary Jan 2, 2008

maybe there is a way to add those terms to those softwares...

First of all, a dictionary would be a candidate for MultiTerm and much less, if at all, for TWB. To add bilingual material to Multiterm - either to add to an existing Terminology file or to creata new one - the information needs to be i a suitable for, for instance as a two-column spreadsheet etc. Once you have it in this form, you can use MultiTerm convert to form data in such a way that they can be imported. See my movie on this subject:

The big question of course is, if it is possible to convert one CDROM of language information into a flat file, like an Excel spreadsheet. My experience so far is, that the copyright owners have no special need to make it THAT easy for free-riders.

One more point - synonyms: it is no fun, if you have to select your target expression from a dozen of synonyms. By the time you are finished, you could just as well have typed it yourself.

PS... Je me souviens - from a fellow Canadien

[Urejeno ob 2008-01-02 19:17]

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Moving this topic... Jan 2, 2008

... to the SDL/Trados Support forum.

English to German
+ ...
not possible to extract terminology from applications... Jan 3, 2008

collins dictionary runs like an application. Just like a telephone directory of Duesseldorf Fair management would do. Despite the fact that both the CDs contain text based information that runs into tagged files, they run as applications. This may be possible at a pre-compilation stage at Database server levels. Alternatively you could do an alphabetical sort and get a list, take a screen shot and run through OCR to reach excel or a similar format and port to multiterm. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-01-03 18:41]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and dictionaries: How do I add one?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs