Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jan 11, 2008

I have just finished a word file and tried to clean it and this is where the problem starts. Workbench says "Can't process rtf file". Thje funny thing is it is not an rtf file, it is doc. The problem occured somewhere in the middle of the document. I saved the doc as rtf and then resaved as doc and the reult was slightly better - it got stuck only at the end. However the result is still the same - the file is not cleaned.

Obviously I am running out of time as the file has to be delivered asap (as usual). I really really would appreciate help!

I use Windows XP, SDL Trados 2007, Word 2003

Ines

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
TM? Jan 11, 2008

Do you have a back-up of your original, untranslated file?

Perhaps you could auto-translate this, using your current TM, and then try to clean the new file.

Ellemiek Drucker  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Fix the document Jan 11, 2008

In case you haven't tried this: fix the document. Maybe this will help. Good luck!

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
My 2 cents Jan 11, 2008

You could also try to cleanup the file before translation. Maybe the original file contains something corrupted. Sometimes it works.

Or else, you could select all in the original file, copy and paste into a new Notepad file, then re-paste it into a new empty rtf or doc file.

Hope it helps. you never know with Trados!

Cheers

Antonella

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use TagEditor Jan 11, 2008

Burrell wrote:

I have just finished a word file and tried to clean it and this is where the problem starts. Workbench says "Can't process rtf file". Thje funny thing is it is not an rtf file, it is doc. The problem occured somewhere in the middle of the document. I saved the doc as rtf and then resaved as doc and the reult was slightly better - it got stuck only at the end. However the result is still the same - the file is not cleaned.

Obviously I am running out of time as the file has to be delivered asap (as usual). I really really would appreciate help!

I use Windows XP, SDL Trados 2007, Word 2003

Ines

If the tags are messed up (which probably is the reason why), open this in TagEditor instead, and "Translate to fuzzy" against your existing TM, as suggested above. It only takes a minute!
TE is usually more stringent in handling the tags, so less things can go wrong.

Regarding your error message: Trados temporarily converts any .doc to RTF during cleanup, so this is expected behavior, nothing wrong there...

/Jan

[Edited at 2008-01-11 15:21]

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use Word macro Jan 11, 2008

[quote]Burrell wrote:

The fastest way is then to use the clean up macro in Word - Alt-F8 and search in the dropdown menu for "tw4winClean.Main" , highlight it and click "Run".

Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados does not clean word file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs