What a mess: Trados 2006/2007 - Windows Vista - Word 2007
Thread poster: alanroche (X)
alanroche (X)
alanroche (X)
German to English
Jan 15, 2008

When I searched the web for advice on how to deal with the ridiculous amount of installation, execution, corruption and incompatibility issues I've been experiencing with the above in various combinations, I had no idea how many people would have had similar and other problems. This should barely qualify at beta software, it's an absolute mess.

On one job alone, I have just had the misfortune to suffer the following problems at the hands of Trados - bearing in mind that the actual
... See more
When I searched the web for advice on how to deal with the ridiculous amount of installation, execution, corruption and incompatibility issues I've been experiencing with the above in various combinations, I had no idea how many people would have had similar and other problems. This should barely qualify at beta software, it's an absolute mess.

On one job alone, I have just had the misfortune to suffer the following problems at the hands of Trados - bearing in mind that the actual work to translate the files in question all had to be worked around these problems.

- When initially trying to run Trados 2007 with Word 2007, I got error 33353, end of paragraph not found for every segment.
- Then with Word 2007 uninstalled and Word 2003 installed, the Trados 2007 then shut down immediately every time I opened it, with a message claiming that an instance of Trados was supposedly already running, but wasn't.
- Incompatibility with files (error message from Trados: "no translatable content in files") means files can't be pretranslated or manually edited and then used to update the TM
- Error 50052 repeatedly, no workaround possible - deleting iix file leads to iix file missing error, TM can't be exported, can't be updated because of first error
- Segments that contain e.g typos aren't updated once corrected manually in files then TM supposedly updated, incorrect segment is still contained in and propagated by TM no matter what I do.The original incorrectly translated segment occurring in file is seemingly skipped or ignored even if segment is corrected directly in TM using concordance function.

I ended up installing, uninstalling and reinstalling various configurations and versions until eventually (literally days later) I managed to get Trados 2007 working with Office 2003. Well, "working" - most of the above issues still occurring periodically.

All this trouble on a single translation job - it has been an utter embarrassment, repeatedly having to explain various and increasingly ridiculous problems to my customer which frankly I wouldn't believe myself at this stage if I wasn't the poor fool having to endure and work around them.

And to add insult to injury, as a freelancer - and one of the first registered users EVER of Trados since its conception, as they once informed me with reverence - I'm not entitled to support unless I buy it, which of course I can't really afford for a single utterly problematic piece of software which they're effectively using me to test, and shouldn't have been released in this condition for free, let alone for purchase.

The SDL (lack of) Knowledge Base doesn't even include any information on solving issues with Trados 2007 yet, presumably because if people knew how full of bugs it was they might think twice about buying it.
Think twice!

More trouble than it's worth in my experience.
Collapse

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:51
German to English
+ ...
you are not alone Jan 15, 2008

The Vista/Trados 2007 didn't do any good for me either. So in the end, I ditched both (and returned the brand new laptop too!). It is a bit of a drag having Trados 2007 sitting in the account and not being able to use it. A while ago, I posted a question whether the support was a good investment. You might want to check it out:
http://www.proz.com/topic/91115
Good luck.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trados - Vista Jan 15, 2008

Hi,

It's a problem.

I finally got Trados 2007 - Vista and Office XP - all working together mostly, sort of , in all my languages by uninstalling and reinstalling and luck. Works mostly and now I'm afraid to move anything or sneeze behind the computer in case I upset the delicate equilibrium. That's working so far for new projects creating new TMs from scratch. I do have problems introducing glossaries still.

I also had problems adding new entries to exis
... See more
Hi,

It's a problem.

I finally got Trados 2007 - Vista and Office XP - all working together mostly, sort of , in all my languages by uninstalling and reinstalling and luck. Works mostly and now I'm afraid to move anything or sneeze behind the computer in case I upset the delicate equilibrium. That's working so far for new projects creating new TMs from scratch. I do have problems introducing glossaries still.

I also had problems adding new entries to existing TMs whose content was input on my old system. I have solved this not very elegantly and rather time-consumingly by exporting the TM content on my old set-up and then importing it to create a new TM on my new system.

I actually thought the problem was connected to Latin script - Non-Latin script because I have had few problems with the Dutch-English files/TMs and Greek source language files. Most problems were in files translating into Greek - but that can't apply to you as your languages are Latinscript.

I had the same problems you mentioned updating existing TMs from post-edited files. I haven't found a solution yet and this I think is probably the most irritating of the problems. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Good luck though ...

Diane
Collapse

behaviour75
behaviour75  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
English to Spanish
Just requesting some help fom you.. Feb 16, 2008

Dear Alan:
I just installed Trados Freelancer 7.1 in my Desktop. My PC runs on Windows XP which has MS Office 2007 in it as well.
This tool(TRADOS) offers more PITFALLS & POTHOLES than anything else. It is hypercomplicated. It looks like it was not designed for translators but for computer scientists or computer buff-related people or something like that. I've followed all the steps to the letter and then when I click on the "Open/Get" button( Trados toolbar with the flagman at the l
... See more
Dear Alan:
I just installed Trados Freelancer 7.1 in my Desktop. My PC runs on Windows XP which has MS Office 2007 in it as well.
This tool(TRADOS) offers more PITFALLS & POTHOLES than anything else. It is hypercomplicated. It looks like it was not designed for translators but for computer scientists or computer buff-related people or something like that. I've followed all the steps to the letter and then when I click on the "Open/Get" button( Trados toolbar with the flagman at the left, I mean) the Workbench displays the same fateful error message : "(33353): END OF PARAGRAPH NOT FOUND."
In trying to correct the problem, I've placed a paragraph mark at the end of the first segment and made changes concerning the font style as well. Nope. Nothing works. The same error keeps displayed at the bottom of the Workbench.
I am about to give up. I enrolled in a Trados webinar that was supposed to start yesterday but the guys either at Trados or Webex( I have no clue about who the hell made the mistake) e-mailed me with the wrong information involving the time(I am living in North Carolina, U.S.A). I did handle the time difference perfectly and was right on time when the event was supposed to start. I missed it.
So, upon reading what you described below, I thought you might have a different approach concerning this matter and would give me some ideas about how to deal with this ERROR.

In advance, thanks a lot for your feedback on this concern.
RAUL.

alanroche wrote:

On one job alone, I have just had the misfortune to suffer the following problems at the hands of Trados - bearing in mind that the actual work to translate the files in question all had to be worked around these problems.

- When initially trying to run Trados 2007 with Word 2007, I got error 33353, end of paragraph not found for every segment.
- Then with Word 2007 uninstalled and Word 2003 installed, the Trados 2007 then shut down immediately every time I opened it, with a message claiming that an instance of Trados was supposedly already running, but wasn't.
- Incompatibility with files (error message from Trados: "no translatable content in files") means files can't be pretranslated or manually edited and then used to update the TM
- Error 50052 repeatedly, no workaround possible - deleting iix file leads to iix file missing error, TM can't be exported, can't be updated because of first error
- Segments that contain e.g typos aren't updated once corrected manually in files then TM supposedly updated, incorrect segment is still contained in and propagated by TM no matter what I do.The original incorrectly translated segment occurring in file is seemingly skipped or ignored even if segment is corrected directly in TM using concordance function.

I ended up installing, uninstalling and reinstalling various configurations and versions until eventually (literally days later) I managed to get Trados 2007 working with Office 2003. Well, "working" - most of the above issues still occurring periodically.

All this trouble on a single translation job - it has been an utter embarrassment, repeatedly having to explain various and increasingly ridiculous problems to my customer which frankly I wouldn't believe myself at this stage if I wasn't the poor fool having to endure and work around them.

And to add insult to injury, as a freelancer - and one of the first registered users EVER of Trados since its conception, as they once informed me with reverence - I'm not entitled to support unless I buy it, which of course I can't really afford for a single utterly problematic piece of software which they're effectively using me to test, and shouldn't have been released in this condition for free, let alone for purchase.

The SDL (lack of) Knowledge Base doesn't even include any information on solving issues with Trados 2007 yet, presumably because if people knew how full of bugs it was they might think twice about buying it.
Think twice!

More trouble than it's worth in my experience.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What a mess: Trados 2006/2007 - Windows Vista - Word 2007

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »