Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
WHy do we need TRADOS 7.1?!!
Thread poster: Heather Lane

Heather Lane  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:29
Dutch to English
Jan 15, 2008

Why is it that some translation agencies only work with translators who use TRADOS 7.1? I spent a lot of money on the 6.5 version, and even went to the extent of buying WordFast for other employers, and now I get refused a job because i have the 'wrong' version of TRADOS?

How much is a translator expected to invest to satisfy employers?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:29
English to German
+ ...
Word support in TagEditor Jan 15, 2008

Hi Heather,

Why is it that some translation agencies only work with translators who use TRADOS 7.1?

IIRC the most obvious difference is TagEditor support for Word files.

Wrong question: an agency (any outsourcer, actually) is not your employer. Making sure you have the software you need to do the business you want to attract is your responsibility: as a consequence, you should factor the cost of software license into your prices.

Best regards,
Ralf

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Support for INX files Jan 15, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

IIRC the most obvious difference is TagEditor support for Word files.

Don't forget about the support for INX files. It was introduced in Trados 7.1 (AFAIR).

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Right Jan 15, 2008

Don't forget about the support for INX files. It was introduced in Trados 7.1 (AFAIR).

Of course - thanks for pointing this out!

Best, Ralf

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
It is a good investment Jan 15, 2008

And tax deductible so where is the problem?

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tax deductible Jan 15, 2008

Marijke wrote:
And tax deductible so where is the problem?

I assume tax deductions work the same elsewhere as they do here in the States: you don't get the full money back, just the taxable portion of the income you spent on it. So depending on the country and your tax bracket, you only get back about 25 to 60 percent of the cost (usually about 30 percent here in the U.S.)

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Fully tax deductible in the UK Jan 15, 2008

Only when items cost more than x (I can't remember the figure) you have to deduct it over a period of 3 years (but even then it is in full). This is the case with PCs.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You have to upgrade all the time Jan 15, 2008

Heather Lane wrote:
Why is it that some translation agencies only work with translators who use TRADOS 7.1? I spent a lot of money on the 6.5 version...

Eventually, old programs fall by the wayside and you have to either upgrade or limit your client base to those that are satisfied with old software. Trados 7 came out in July 2005. That's two and a half years ago. In computer terms, that is a long time.

Trans-Marie
English to German
+ ...
Tax Jan 15, 2008

@ Marijke: Yes, it's fully deductible in the UK. However, this does not mean that you get 100% of the purchase price “back”. Rather, it means that you can deduct it from the taxable income and thus you don’t have to pay tax for the amount the item costs. Depending on the tax rate you have to pay, this means that you get 22% (or the relevant amount) “back” – just as Steven says.

This is not changed by the fact that in the case of capital allowances – as opposed to expenses - the amount is not deducted all at once. The current threshold regarding capital allowances is 100.00 GPB. This is the information the Inland Revenue gave me.

Not sure if a 25% “discount” is worth it in the case of Trados - which is extremely expensive.

[Edited at 2008-01-16 15:31]

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Workarounds Jan 15, 2008

Well, there are some means and ways that might enable you to satisfy your clients even without the most recent version of Trados. TagEditor is not the only application that can process TagEditor files. Maybe it's time to shop around a bit, if you do not like the ever returning ritual of spending money on the newest Trados version or if you want to delay that investment.

Personally, I have been using the loop holes Trados offers for the last 9 years, minimizing my cost and still meeting my clients' needs, using less expensive and IMHO better solutions.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:29
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TMs are not compatible Jan 16, 2008

So if someone sends you a TM created with a newer version your 6.5 will not open it, probably.
I started with 5.5 and upgraded every year, but last year I did not, because I'm satisfied with the original 2006 package and the upgrade seems to be buggy (hope this has changed). Upgrading is cheap compared to the initial investment.
Unless you recieve TMs from your customers, you can use whatever tool you like. With the 2006 version of Trados was bundled SDLX, which I use more frequently than Trados. So by upgrading from 6.5 you'll recieve quite a lot of usefull stuff.

How much do you spend each year upgrading (reparing) your car or your home electronics? At least Trados earns you money (expands your customer base).

Regards
Heinrich

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:29
English to Greek
+ ...
It has changed indeed! Jan 16, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

... but last year I did not, because I'm satisfied with the original 2006 package and the upgrade seems to be buggy (hope this has changed).

Heinrich

It has indeed! I dithered for a long time and finally made the transition in October - I haven't looked back. You should try it!

[Edited at 2008-01-16 08:45]

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
It's your call... Jan 16, 2008

Heather Lane wrote:

Why is it that some translation agencies only work with translators who use TRADOS 7.1? I spent a lot of money on the 6.5 version, and even went to the extent of buying WordFast for other employers, and now I get refused a job because i have the 'wrong' version of TRADOS?

Samuel and Ralf says it well!

As an independent businesswoman, it's up to you how much you want to invest to attract customers.

For good or bad, our trade is "plagued" by software tools that keep improving every year.
You simply have to keep your ear to the ground and judge which tools and upgrades are most requested by your clients, and which will bring you ROI.

That said, we still have a few freelancers here who still work with typewriter and snail mail. No e-mail, no computer, nothing. Of course, that will also reflect the amount of work they get. So it's your call, really!

For a full time translator, with a turnover of maybe 10 000 to 30 000 EUR/year, budgeting 500 EUR/year in upgrade costs (hardware + software) is a no-brainer for me.

It all boils down to your client base. If your on good terms with your favorite agency, have a confidential discussion with them and ask them frankly how many potential assignments you lost by not having the right software. My experience is that 7.1 and above support so many more file formats (INX, java properties, XML variants), that at least 10-20% of our incoming jobs will not be offered to freelancers running older versions than 7.1.

Good luck,

/Jan

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Planned obsolescence Jan 16, 2008

Trados 7 came out in July 2005. That's two and a half years ago. In computer terms, that is a long time.

True, but there's an element of planned obsolescence about that. And planned obsolescence only progresses as quickly as the market will tolerate. In this case, we and our clients are the market and can slow it down by refusing to think of two-year-old software (which does almost everything we need it to) as ancient.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Agencies drive the market demands Jan 16, 2008

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Trados 7 came out in July 2005. That's two and a half years ago. In computer terms, that is a long time.

True, but there's an element of planned obsolescence about that. And planned obsolescence only progresses as quickly as the market will tolerate. In this case, we and our clients are the market and can slow it down by refusing to think of two-year-old software (which does almost everything we need it to) as ancient.

Steven, I agree with you, but only in part.

Like Wolfgang said, there are clever ways to juggle around if you want to avoid paying the price.
Using demo versions of Trados for converting to TTX only, backconverting DocX to DOC, download freeware plugins like TTXpress and translate in Word with Wordfast, or shift to open source like OmegaT, etc.

But for those who aren't confident with experimenting, paying for the Trados upgrades is a reliable all-in-one solution.

And the fact is that the introduction of many new file formats like INX, java properties etc, effectively renders any CAT tool that doesn't handle them obsolete - but only in that aspect of course.
The agencies need these improvements to Trados to make the workflow with these new formats efficient. They have to face the large corporate clients who constantly come up with new cutting edge file formats. SDL responding to this demand is not planned obsolesence, but merely keeping up with the market.

If SDL had released these improvements as patches at a nominal fee, I don't think anyone here had complained "why to we have to upgrade all the time?".

The crux of the matter is rather the cost of each upgrade, and the big marketing hoohah that surrounds every new version. Right?!

/Jan

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WHy do we need TRADOS 7.1?!!

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs