https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/94292-corrupted_characters_in_ttx_files_using_tageditor_ver_8.html

Corrupted characters in .ttx files - using TagEditor ver 8
Thread poster: Marie Halvorsen
Marie Halvorsen
Marie Halvorsen
United States
Local time: 15:01
English to Danish
Jan 15, 2008

Hello,

I tried to search the forum for help, but failed to find an answer to my specific problem.

I am working on a (to me!) technically complicated project in TagEditor. The client asked me to use very specific settings and gave me detailed instructions – I am not sure what all the settings mean, but I think that's what caused my problem:

Danish, my target language, has three special characters: æ, ø and å. In the TM that I received from the client, h
... See more
Hello,

I tried to search the forum for help, but failed to find an answer to my specific problem.

I am working on a (to me!) technically complicated project in TagEditor. The client asked me to use very specific settings and gave me detailed instructions – I am not sure what all the settings mean, but I think that's what caused my problem:

Danish, my target language, has three special characters: æ, ø and å. In the TM that I received from the client, however, these are replaced with question marks. These characters are also replaced next time the segments that I have translated from scratch appear. I have no problems saving the segments that contain them, though.

I now have to correct all matches where these characters appear, including the 100% matches, a very time-consuming task. Is there a setting that I can change to fix this?

Very important: Before changing the settings for this particular project, I had no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for all your help!
Collapse

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:01
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Create a new TM Jan 15, 2008

Hi Marie-Louise

I ran into the problem recently. Every time I closed a segment it was stored in the TM with question marks replacing the national character PLUS the following character, e.g. 'æble' is changed to '?le'.

I circumvented the problem by creating a brand new TM and populate it with an unaffected backup of the ttx file. After that I had no problems.

At first I tried to apply the very latest build of Freelance. That did not change anything.
... See more
Hi Marie-Louise

I ran into the problem recently. Every time I closed a segment it was stored in the TM with question marks replacing the national character PLUS the following character, e.g. 'æble' is changed to '?le'.

I circumvented the problem by creating a brand new TM and populate it with an unaffected backup of the ttx file. After that I had no problems.

At first I tried to apply the very latest build of Freelance. That did not change anything.
Since there were no other side effects I did not contact SDL to get the problem resolved properly but I am very eager to hear if anybody actually got this problem solved.

Kim
Collapse

Marie Halvorsen
Marie Halvorsen
United States
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
No unaffected backup Jan 15, 2008

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I seem to have the exact same problem as you did. I get '?le' too instead of 'æble'.

However, this problem was there from the beginning – when I changed the translation memory settings for my current project, so I don't have an unaffected backup of the ttx files.

I guess I could download the files again from the client's FTP, but I don't suppose that would fix the TM...

I look forward to seeing if mo
... See more
Hi Kim,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I seem to have the exact same problem as you did. I get '?le' too instead of 'æble'.

However, this problem was there from the beginning – when I changed the translation memory settings for my current project, so I don't have an unaffected backup of the ttx files.

I guess I could download the files again from the client's FTP, but I don't suppose that would fix the TM...

I look forward to seeing if more people have experienced this issue as well and how they got around it!

ML
Collapse

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:01
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Alignment might work Jan 15, 2008

If you have a working cleaned version you might run that through Winalign together with the source and populate your fresh TM with the output.

Kim

Marie Halvorsen
Marie Halvorsen
United States
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Corrected question marks manually Jan 19, 2008

I ended up correcting the question marks manually... Had I had more time and courage, I would have looked into your suggestions, Kim, but the project has been delivered to the client, who is happy.

Now I am working on a new project, and so far the TM looks good. For future reference, though, I want to investigate your suggestions further!

Thanks anyway for your time. I appreciate it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupted characters in .ttx files - using TagEditor ver 8

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »